Light action downrigger rod

Just looking for someone's opinion on a light action downrigger rod for Keuka Lake. I troll there a few times a year for trout and currently I'm using a 9 foot, med-light (10-20 lb.) ugly stick. Mostly with just a spoon of the DR. As some know, the trout there are on average, 18-22 inch cigars, with a few larger at times. The rod I use just isn't right for those small trout. I was thinking of something in a lighter action of maybe 71/2 or 8 foot. ( I want to feel a little fight) I thought of a Kokanee rod, but I think they're to light. So, something just a tad heavier than that. Not looking for anything over $75.00. Any thoughts.

Ugly stick used to make 7' one piece light action rods. Don't know if they still do but I bet they are what you are looking for. Also, Eagle Claw rods seem to bend thru the whole blank if thats the action your looking for. Good luck!

I would go with an okuma sst kokanee rod,they come in 7 or 71/2 foot ..

We use 6-10 lb test line on them and love it..Most of our salmon and trout in maine are 1 1/2-5 lbs and these rods make it fun..use small line counter reels with mono or we even use 12lb leadcore on the 7 1/2 footers with no prob ( 5 colors)..All the other rods mentioned are good choices but I think you will like the light action of these..they have a trigger and the graphite rod blank is exposed on your finger and you feel everything..under 50$

I use Okuma downrigger 7 ft rods on Canandaigua lake for the same type of fish your describing, they work great and feels like you got a big fish at the average 20” LT. if your not running downriggers they make a 7 1/2 ft lake trolling version. Best part is there only about $30. Here is link:

https://www.fishusa.com/Okuma-Classic-Pro-GLT-Trolling-Rods?quantity=1&L-Model1=2301

15 hours ago, dry net said:

Ugly stick used to make 7' one piece light action rods. Don't know if they still do but I bet they are what you are looking for. Also, Eagle Claw rods seem to bend thru the whole blank if thats the action your looking for. Good luck!

Yeah, that ugly stik I think was the BWD 1131. (Which would be perfect.)  There's also a 1101 8'3". Good luck finding either one.

Edited by Bait Bucket

11 hours ago, fish whistle said:

I would go with an okuma sst kokanee rod,they come in 7 or 71/2 foot ..

We use 6-10 lb test line on them and love it..Most of our salmon and trout in maine are 1 1/2-5 lbs and these rods make it fun..use small line counter reels with mono or we even use 12lb leadcore on the 7 1/2 footers with no prob ( 5 colors)..All the other rods mentioned are good choices but I think you will like the light action of these..they have a trigger and the graphite rod blank is exposed on your finger and you feel everything..under 50$

That's a fine rod, would like it, but I saw some reviews on a few people breaking off the tips on the dr. IM-8 graphite. The 71/2 with 6-12 would be ideal.

8 hours ago, Bait Bucket said:

Yeah, that ugly stik I think was the BWD 1131. (Which would be perfect.)  There's also a 1101 8'3". Good luck finding either one.

Don't mean to rub it in but ........

I feel your pain. 8 to 10 ft leaders on a 16' boat is a circus act. I use the same rigger rods for finger lakes and Lake O. Slightly heavy for the finger's and slightly under for mature salmon. 6 yrs no issues. Okuma 8' green tips.

Looking to go shorter,  fishing out of a 16 foot fish hawk, almost have to stand on the bow to net at the back end.  LOL. 

Sent from my SM-G900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

25 minutes ago, Low Baller said:

I feel your pain. 8 to 10 ft leaders on a 16' boat is a circus act. I use the same rigger rods for finger lakes and Lake O. Slightly heavy for the finger's and slightly under for mature salmon. 6 yrs no issues. Okuma 8' green tips.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Great for browns. I'm surprised no one told me to buy a bigger boat..

The Okuma Kokanee rods are what you want. I use them on small inland lakes as well as Ontario. I've caught browns to 13lbs, Kings to 16lbs and small 10"-24" trout. For the money you can't beat them. A little light on the bigger fish but anything under 10lbs and they're stellar. I have 6 of them. I even run short (1-4 color leadcores) on 2 of them.

Total Chaos

Edited by Total Chaos

I run fish307 out of lake george area light action 9ft downrigger rods with 8lb mono for my brown trout setup on lake o and for finger lakes spoons only , cookie cutter browns 15-23" and lake trout and atlantics are fun to tangle with on those rods , 8lb rainbow last year gave us an interesting time on the rod though lol  

I'd be using Ugly stik ultralights (5 1/2 ft?) on Keuka for those lakers. Thye double as good perch and panfish rods as well

Edited by Sk8man