Fish tastes?

FISHINMAN

I kept some bass and gills from Honeyoe lake for a few co-workers and they said that the bass all had a different taste to them. None tasted the same :o .

Being a chef I understand that some fish taste different from different areas and what they feed on, but these were all from the same lake.

Is this unusual?

I didn't take part in the always fun cleaning scaling part of it :clap: . Not sure what took place in the cleaning and gutting part of it as I had already left.

It wasn't a matter of salt and pepper tastes more of a fishiness stronger taste to more mild taste. They were all about the same size fish too so there was a lot less of a older to younger ratio although they may have been a little difference in age.

Tom, you will probably find out that it was because they were all large mouth bass, and that is why 99% of the people i know don't like to eat large mouth, where some like to live in the heaviest weeds they can find and some like to live in areas with structure like fallen trees and docks with no weeds at all witch i would have to believe would change the way they taste and your friends were probably use to eating small mouth bass witch taste much different and don't have that strong fishy taste and they have a much different living habitat where they like sandy and rocky bottoms with no weeds or very few at all .

Ask your friends if they know what kind of bass they like to eat and you will probably find out that they thought all bass taste the same and once again there is a big difference in the taste of small & large mouth bass

Hope this helps you find out what your looking for

JR , they are a older Ukrainian couple. Probably never had either LM or SM bass. They said they were good just had different tastes to each one. Thanks for the input guys

Bob I'm gonna remove your lateral line in about 1 minute :@:rofl:

Never heard that Bob. I'll have to try that with salmon at work once and see :yes:

Either way they probably tasted way better coming out of ice cold water compared to catching and eating them during the summer. We used to eat Largemouth out of a farm pond when I was growing up, and they were a little fishy. I don't think I have ate any bass in over 15 years now. I wonder if their diet would play a part in the taste wether it was predominately other fish, or crayfish, worms, aquatic insects etc.

Tom, You think they just got the gills & bass mixed together....very different tasting fish. The larger gill may have tasted a lil fishier than the average ones also? When I go salt fishing and catch different species for a fish fry I find It hard/Impossible not to get them confused once the cooking begins. Who knows, just a theory?

Definitely remove the lateral line after skinning the fillet along with the belly meat on any fish and then soak the fillet In saltwater....will make any fish much milder In flavor.

:

I'm wondering if it is because some of them partially froze. We had a couple that we caught at first light that started to freeze. If some of the filets were over cooked and some cooked right, there will also be a difference in taste. Of course, Tom would not know that because cooking the Mcfilets at Mcdonalds is done in the fryer and is timed! :lol::D

JR , they are a older Ukrainian couple. Probably never had either LM or SM bass. They said they were good just had different tastes to each one. Thanks for the input guys

Bob I'm gonna remove your lateral line in about 1 minute :@:rofl:

Never heard that Bob. I'll have to try that with salmon at work once and see :yes:

I bet they just cut the heads off and scaled them. That was the only way my granny would eat fish, I gave her some filtes one time and she gave me :@:devil: heck told me I ruined them taking the skin off and bones...........LOL