Penn Linecounter Reels - Likes/Dislikes/Models

Rival?  Squall?  How are the drags?  

I'm thinking outside the Okuma, Daiwa, Shimano box for a pair for reels to put on diver rods and run wire divers this summer.

Don't see much here on Penn reels.  Who is running them?  Likes, dislikes?  I once fished with the older lever drag models on downrigger rods, that feature is available on their upper model called Fathom, line.  Rival is the 'econo' ($80) reel, Squall is about $120.

As a weekend warrior, these reels might see a couple dozen trips per season.  However, if I load them up with wire, they better work well when I hook up with the 'big' one!  

I have been fishing the warfare models they have 3 seasons on them now (average 60 trips a year), I have 16 of them I just last trip out had an issue with 1 of them, something with the clicker, I haven't taken it apart yet to see what happened, reel still works just clicker won't engage. I don't have any complaints, the drags seem smooth and they have held up for me. I have had all the other brands you mentor and by this point in time with any of the others I would definitely
Have had more than 1 issue.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have bought/used all the major brands and models. I wanted some reels with more torque so I  bought some penns 2 winters ago.  2 squalls for coppers and 2 fathoms 2's for mag divers. After a year+ of hard use they have been excellent. Smooth drags, loud clickers and plenty of power for fighting big fish 

• 1 month later...

With supply chain shortages I got one Penn Warfare 30LWLC from FishUSA. It’s larger than I realized for my 1000’ wire setup. But. I do need a reel for 300’ copper.

Anyone know how much backing to run for a Warfare 30 with 300’ copper?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

7 hours ago, bigwalleye said:

With supply chain shortages I got one Penn Warfare 30LWLC from FishUSA. It’s larger than I realized for my 1000’ wire setup. But. I do need a reel for 300’ copper.

Anyone know how much backing to run for a Warfare 30 with 300’ copper?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That reel isn't big enough for 300' of 45 pound copper. It will hold 300 yards of 50 pound power pro and 200 ft of 45 pound copper