Time and place to find musky

Brand new to musky fishing. I’ve fished trout my whole life. I live in Canandaigua. I’m wondering what the best lake(s) would be to start musky fishing? Also, what the best time(s) of year are? And techniques? I have trolling gear. 

I would fish Waneta since it’s so close. I would try to avoid weekends. Cast around weeds long enough and you’ll get one sooner or later. They will hit anything when they are hungry. A black bucktail or spinner bait with nickel blades is a good start.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Thanks 1

I fish Waneta, mostly because I'm only 15 minutes away. Small lake, so you know they are there and your lures are getting seen, but it gets hammered hard. I used to think the bass got hit hard until i learned to distinguish muskie vs bass anglers. I would say most of fishing is for muskie. Lots of pleasure boaters and jet skis as well. BUT, the fish are there... this is only my second season targeting skis with 4 total caught so I wont try to say I know what works and what doesn't. But I see a lot of trollers. Weeds are heavy this year, and you have weeds and a couple points to target basically. Best of luck wherever you go!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Thanks 1

Chautauqua has good access with plenty of boat launch’s in both basins.  Should be about a 3 hour drive from Canandaigua.  Lots of options to troll and cast. Visitors Bureau has a good site for information www.tourchautauqua.com   Besides musky the lake has walleye, bass and panfish.  DEC has musky hatchery at Chautauqua too.  Most first timers are surprised when they get on the lake.  

• Thanks 1

The Susquehanna river is an excellent option as well.  That's where I started and PA has done a very good job getting pures stocked in Waverly and great bend.  Now in the area between those towns there are excellent numbers of reproducing musky in both the chenango and Susquehanna.  The Broome county area also has the odd natural tiger musky and some good pike.  I don't guide on the river but it certainly isn't because the fishing isn't good.  

• Like 1

Hiring a local guide will dramatically shorten your learning curve and answer many of your questions.

Brand new to musky fishing. I’ve fished trout my whole life. I live in Canandaigua. I’m wondering what the best lake(s) would be to start musky fishing? Also, what the best time(s) of year are? And techniques? I have trolling gear. 

Sent from my SM-G973U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1