Owasco reports

Most of the FLTA did well with lakers up to 9 lbs, some nice rainbows to 6.5, and 1 or 2 browns weighed.  I personally and a few others had trouble finding any decent size trout... only landed 3 smaller lakers but did get one nice 28" 6.5 pound walleye.  Fleas were extremely bad.  Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. I had a newby in the boat for the Seneca derby and she got discouraged with the slow bite.I hope to get things crankin on Owasco. I keep reading about fleas It just seems early. I am still running 40lb test line fleas wont bother it.  I will have two days to try and figure the fish out. Sounds like  you need to get something around 9lbs or so for the derby. Good luck with the rest of the FLTA season

• Like 1

I feel like the last 3 years in a row I said to myself, why are the fleas here so early?  They've been showing up 2-3 weeks earlier every year the past few years.  I remember telling myself late July is when they show usually, then last year it was early July.  This year, mid June, crazy.  I didn't expect to see them on Owasco yesterday, had I known I would have spooled up much heavier line.  Still, the fish are there if you can keep your presentation clean.  Good luck this weekend.  I'd like to fish that derby, but I've gotta go visit my dad for Father's Day, maybe do some saltwater fishing.

It may relate to when the water temperature starts reaching into the 60's  and they disappear in the same way in the Fall when the water temp goes back down

• Like 1

I thought about fishing the owasco derby after the Otisco derby Saturday morning, but I'm not pulling the boat to deal with fleas!  Not that it's impossible, but respooling to deal with fleas for 1 day of fishing isn't worth it to me.  Last time I was there with my boat it was  July 5 2013 and the fleas were absolutely horrible so this isn't new!  Fished Cayuga for the 2 days prior and that morning...zero fleas.  Had to dig thru my logs to get the date and based on my notes I gave up and headed back to Otisco.  Fished 3 finger lakes that day!