Considering different launch location on Cayuga

I have fished for trout and salmon almost exclusively out of Meyers Point from a pedal kayak with a trolling motor for the past 3 or 4 years. I'm thinking about trying a different location. Perhaps Dean's Cove or Long Point. I always fish relatively close to shore mostly flatlining Rapalas and Little Cleos. Last year I purchased a leadcore rod & reel but haven't used it yet. Any suggestions about where to go ; what direction to head ; over what depth of water to try etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Ed

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Take Sheldrake point road to the circle at the end.  Nice spot for launching kayaks.....when I retire and can fish 8 days a week I'll invest in one and launch there for sure.  Google it and look at it via satellite and you'll see what I mean.

Sometimes fish are right there around the point so you don't have to go far at all.  That said, when I trolled through there recently not much was happening.    I don't have a kayak perspective but the way it quickly drops off around there I would suspect you could work to well over 100 fow on a calm day.  If you dont get them on the troll you might be able to jig up some Lakers.    Perhaps someone who has worked that area in a yak will chime in.  Be sure to let us know how it goes.

I've kayaked out of Sheldrake a bunch of times - had decent luck both north or south of the point.  My choice of direction was based on the wind conditions more then what I was seeing on the humminbird.

18 hours ago, JJBat150 said:

I've kayaked out of Sheldrake a bunch of times - had decent luck both north or south of the point.  My choice of direction was based on the wind conditions more then what I was seeing on the humminbird.

I was hoping you might join this conversation.  egcuth, this is the one to ask about kayak fishing the Fingerlakes!!

19 hours ago, JJBat150 said:

I'm heading up to Sheldrake tomorrow morning. Hope to be on the water by 7. Thanks to everyone for all your advise. If there are other kayakers who would like to fish together sometime that would be nice. I usually go out  during the week to avoid the weekend traffic.  I'll let you know how I do .

Take care

Ed

I launched out of Sheldrake at 7 this morning and was off a little before 1. All the action was in the first 3 hours. Landed 4 landlocks 16" to 19" (1 keeper) Also a couple of misses. All were  caught on the North side of the point  in water from 25' to 50'. Lots of bait pods in the same areas. When  the wind died down the action stopped. Trolled the entire time with diving Rapalas.( FYI : I switched all of the treble hooks on my Rapalas (and other lures) over to single hooks this year.) It's a great place to launch a kayak! Will definitely go there again. Thanks to everyone for all the input.

• Like 2

Sorry for the late post -

I went out of Sheldrake yesterday (Wednesday 17th) - hit the water @ 6AM, and the wind from the S/SE forced me fish north of the point in 30-80 FOW. 

Also saw lots of bait with marks underneath; trolled 4 and 5 colors with a mix of stick baits, trolling files, and  mixed spoons with only a 19" salmon brought to the net to be released.   Wind died down around 11AM, and on the way in, I spent about 30 minutes messing around jigging white flukes over marks - brought up a 23" laker.  

@egcuth - Weekdays are a bit tough for me to schedule in, I generally get out more on weekends; but send me a PM if you're looking for a partner next time out.

Edited by JJBat150

Since bass season opens this weekend Dean's may be a bit crowded. Twice in the past I have gone to Dean's only to find that all of the parking taken up by a bass tournament. Last year they were even parking along the road. It's a small launch with limited parking so I do not know why they use it when Frontenac and Long Point are larger.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1