Diver Rods: Eagle Claw Starfire vs Okuma GLT vs ?

Need a couple new diver rods to run wire this summer.  Have experience using the 'whippy,' older, yellow Eagle Claw Starfire rods in 10' or 10'6" length, and thought they handled the wire bites well. BUT I'm reading the NEW Starfire rods have all plastic butts - instead of foam - that doesn't sound too good to my wet hands.

I'm seeing the Okuma GLT rod series at the same price point.  About $30-$35/ea at 10' or 10'6" length.

Any constructive feedback on the above, or others rods I should consider, say under $50/ea?  I'm an out of state/weekend warrior, fish a few weekends a year, take care of my stuff.  These diver rods will be dedicated to running wire with twilli tips. 

Looking to purchase in next 7-10 days.  Any good Father's Day deals out there?

PS:  May also pick up a pair of downrigger rods - I have a set of 'Cannon' brand downrigger rods now, got em from a buddy, they 'work,' but they struggle when trying to put some power on a bigger fish.  Considering I dont think 'Cannon' makes rods anymore (maybe someone else made them for Cannon?) I was thinking about upgrading those rods, too.

On 6/20/2020 at 7:08 AM, Total Chaos said:

I run the eagle claw and love them. Tough, inexpensive rods. I’ve been running them for 20 years now. Wouldn’t even consider running anything else. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it mentality.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

X2 on the Eagle Claws

• Like 1