Downrigger cannonball weight?

Need advice for how heavy downrigger cannonballs to get for trolling on Lake Ontario? I have a fishhawk probe one one rigger. I was thinking a 12# and a 10# or would it be better to go heavier, maybe a 12# and a 15# for the one with the probe. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

From what I understand heavier is always better because it results in less blowback. If you have different weights on the riggers it will be hard to replicate depths with the depth counter because of different blowbacks. Another thing to take into account is the rating on your riggers. If you have manuals there is likely an 8 or 10 lb. recommendation

go as heavy as the rigger is rated for. unless its rated for 20# or something. i like 13# pancake weights for my big jons. i would go no lighter than 12# as long as my rigger was rated that heavy.

you can get good buys off ebay.

Edited by sherman brown

19 hours ago, coldsteel said:

Need advice for how heavy downrigger cannonballs to get for trolling on Lake Ontario? I have a fishhawk probe one one rigger. I was thinking a 12# and a 10# or would it be better to go heavier, maybe a 12# and a 15# for the one with the probe. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

2 lbs heavier on the probe rigger than the rest of your riggers is whats recommended to compensate for the additional blowback caused by the probe. That's assuming all the weights are of the same design. I have found Torpedo weights are good for reduced blowback and the old Atomic 13 lbers are what I still run for deep fishing. Sharks are nice but expensive.

Edited by spoonfed-1