New Transducer Location ?

laker1

Hi,

I would like to know with all the recent amazing advances in electronics, is there a new requirement  regarding transducer placement. Currently i have a Humminbird 1197 and I am serously looking at the Humminbird Solix. Two different systems/generations which I understand will have two different styles of transducers. I fish for lakers ,walleye and musky .

I use a downrigger from time to time. I have an 8 hp trolling motor hanging over the transom of my aluminum boat. Any input would be most apprecated - thank you.

jim

Most. if not all mfgs recommend  a area on the transom ,in the hull .for mounting ducers. Running two FF with the same frequency, regardless of ducer location will not work. You should be able to run them if one is on low frequency and the other on high ,no guarentee  as I have seen people having issues even under those circumstances 

In addition to what Bob said some general things need to be considered such as  locating away from any motor turbulence (main motor or kicker), and ridges on the hull or transom where turbulence can occur. Something that can help is a transducer mounting plate when you have multipme transducers and or speed impellers installed. It allows you to move things around for better positioning. The specific frequencies of the units as Bob mentioned is critical to the functioning of both units as is elimination of interference from other electronics (e.g. Fishhawk etc.). This should be the prime consideration before buying anything new.

Edited by Sk8man

Thank you Bozeman Bob and Sk8man. I think I am a poor writer. I am thinking of moving my 1197 to a second boat. I should have added that!  Its been 10 years since  I bought my 1197.  So I was curious if anything had changed regarding transducer placement. One thought was whether or not a transducer could be mounted further away from the boat. Or are there transducer designs not as affected by turbulence? Hope this hasn't been a waste of everyone's time.