13 hours ago, LakerTaker said:

Do you eat them?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Funny - With the name LakerTaker - you may! LOL   I also take lakers and most other fish I catch.  Rare for me to find a fish I dont like.  I put my first bowfin on my boat a few weeks ago and into the pan it went.  Shortly there after, it was moved from the pan to the can (trash)..  It is also known as a mud fish.  once you try it, you will know why.

I just got a "new to me" fishing boat and was going to call it LakerTaker, but I see you have the name already.  Back to the drawing board!

4 hours ago, Hot Soup said:

Not really Eel like. Scales are similar to carp. Jaw line like Lake trout.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Educate me guys- a bowfin and a gobie are different right? As I understand the bowfin seems to be a mud fish, do they pose any threat to alewives or any baitfish that would impact salmon/steelhead/brown population? Or are they just kinda doing their own thing, minding their own business?

We catch a few of those bowfin in north and south sandy pond every year,,,,after a while your bummed its not a walleye on the end of your hook, but fun to reel in none the less....

This one stayed just out of clear sight for 10min fight so my son really thought it was a huge Walleye! We didn’t have a net so he scooped it out water (see lure stuck in his shirt!) & we almost could not tell right away because was dark out!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

1 hour ago, Offshore IV said:

Educate me guys- a bowfin and a gobie are different right? As I understand the bowfin seems to be a mud fish, do they pose any threat to alewives or any baitfish that would impact salmon/steelhead/brown population? Or are they just kinda doing their own thing, minding their own business?

Well, looking at the pic in the OP, that would be a heck of a gobie.  They are basically a dinosaur.  been here much longer than the salmon and trout.  good for the lake I think.  I tried one, which will never happen again, they will be all catch and release, unlike gobie which is catch and kill.