Brown or Atlantic

One real quick way to tell lakers from any of the silvers is that the spots are light colored and the background dark for starters

Since there are legal length restrictions on the different species, it might be a good idea to practice catch and release until you learn them by sight. There are some good color plates you can look at online but each fish species can change color based on time of the year so it can get confusing. 

On 6/22/2020 at 1:19 PM, Gill-T said:

Since there are legal length restrictions on the different species, it might be a good idea to practice catch and release until you learn them by sight. There are some good color plates you can look at online but each fish species can change color based on time of the year so it can get confusing. 

I wouldn't keep anything I can't identify.

On 6/22/2020 at 1:24 PM, kayaker919 said:

On 6/22/2020 at 9:04 PM, Bosun Cowboy said:

No way this guys serious with this post

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

If your goal was to make me feel stupid you have succeeded! Congratulations.

tjo: Nobody thinks you are stupid, and there is no such thing as a stupid question either presented by someone well intentioned. Occasionally on here someone messes around trying to either be funny or just to be "annoying" to others. There have been many posts here over time that asked about the differences between Atlantics and browns which share some commonalities as they are related species so I think anyone that may have been suspicious about the authenticity of your original post may have mistakenly thought that it was "spoofing" those previous posts. The thing worth noting is that folks have provided you with some real good information and materials to clear up the original concern as well as other potential issues. Happy fishing out there and best of luck.

4 hours ago, Sk8man said:

tjo: Nobody thinks you are stupid, and there is no such thing as a stupid question either presented by someone well intentioned. Occasionally on here someone messes around trying to either be funny or just to be "annoying" to others. There have been many posts here over time that asked about the differences between Atlantics and browns which share some commonalities as they are related species so I think anyone that may have been suspicious about the authenticity of your original post may have mistakenly thought that it was "spoofing" those previous posts. The thing worth noting is that folks have provided you with some real good information and materials to clear up the original concern as well as other potential issues. Happy fishing out there and best of luck.

Yeah i don't think that was really his intention I was being a bit facetious in my reply as well . But hey lots of others with constructive posts. Much appreciate you replying.