Normally go to Canada mid July fishing for a week. Can’t go because of the border. Instead staying by Millen Bay across from Carleton island in the 1000 islands. Never fished here before, looking for advice. I enjoy trolling or still fishing.  Any advice on target species and techniques for this time of year and this area would be appreciated. 

Bass is probably going to be your best bet. Lots of shoals and islands near Clayton that have some good smallies. Pike fishing is pretty good on the shoals down that way too. At the head of carelton near featherbed shoals I've heard of folks catching some muskys but they are few and far between. Also would see boats trolling near Wolf. I assumed they were after eyes but not really sure and think you have to stay out of Canadian waters for now. Beautiful area up there but can get windy.

Random note: would recommend Wood Boat Brewery in Clayton. Also a new brewery in cape but haven't hit it up yet.

Best of luck and hope it's a successful trip

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Around the inside mainland side of carelton Island in 20-30 ft holds good perch all summer long as does the 30-40 ' flat out in front of the main launch in cape vincent , and the weedlines to the left of the launch , there were a few guys on the shallow flats this past weekend sight fishing for bass in less than 10ft on the inside of carleton Island,  also trolling the main channel or jiggin in 15-35 ' channel side and downstream end of carleton island at sunrise sunset and mainly after dark produces so good walleye fishing in the summer going into the fall trophy eye timeframe 

Smallies will usually be in 30-35 FOW on sholes and western points of islands. A drop shot rig with adequate weight works great (I’ve had to go up to nearly a full ounce in strong current areas). Works work really well, and I’ve also had decent luck with Senkos.

If using worms, keep the off the bottom or you’ll be catching gobies most of the day. That’s why the drop shot rig works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

we troll the south side of carlton 20 to 30 feet of water... deep diving baits seem to work well, pike, walleye and bass.. you can also troll the shore line from millens to linda island area has produced some nice fish, again in that 20 to 30 ft range.. good luck