Old big Jon rod holders

eafd30

Good evening ladies and gents , I recently was given three big Jon down riggers each has a separate mounting plate with two rod holders attached . My question is how are they supposed to function ? It seems like they are threaded and you tighten and loosen the holder on the threaded rod into and out of your desired position . The reason I ask is some have lock nuts underneath the holder on the threaded rod some do not and some are corroded so bad I cannot screw or unscrew the holders . Thanks for any help !!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Can you post some pictures of what you have. You shouldn't have to unscrew them to adjust the angle of the rod holder. BigJon has a couple styles of rod holders and pictures would be helpful in determining which ones you have.

Adjustments.JPGAdjustments.JPGIMG_1408.JPG

These are not my holders but they are identical to what I have ..... some have what I assume to be jam nuts between the base and the rod holder itself on the threaded rod that the holder is screwed onto

They mount/bolt between the rigger and the swivel base . Those are usually for the manual rigger and the rod holder mounts on the opposite side of the crank handle. They all should have nuts and lock washers under the rod holder so they can be turned into desired postion. Hope that helps

Sent from my SM-N950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 1 month later...

Did you ever get your Big Jon rod holders adjusted. I have the same style but can't seem to loosen them to adjust them up and down. I can adjust the swivel only. I have 2 spring loaded holders and 2 fixed holders that are slotted for adjustment. The fixed ones are the issue at hand.