Adirondack splake

Headed up to Stillwater reservoir to do a wilderness camping trip with the fam. Taking boat as to that is only way to get to camp sites.. social distancing at its finest... i know there are splake in there and was curious as to tactics to catch them. I plan on trying back in big burnt area which is the depest part of the reservoir. I recall about 15 yrs ago seeing a troller down rigging. Bringing lead, dipsey and riggers... any thought or suggestions much appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I think I'd be thinking about small cowbells and maybe worm harnesses down toward bottom (if there aren't sunken trees etc. and a relatively "clean' bottom is there).

21 minutes ago, Smat64 said:

Lake clear wobbler with a single hook with small piece of worm about 18” behind. About 1.0 mph. DCP_3119.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Real good suggestion. If you use the largest Lake Clear with a small 2-2 1/2 inch spoon or smallest size Rapala behind it that can be productive too. I had a lot of luck with it in the Daks for brookies in the past.....guess I had forgotten until mentioned:lol: Splake are a combination between Brook Trout and Lake Trout so they may respond to techniques used for each taking into consideration the water body characteristics and natural food available.

Edited by Sk8man

I've trolled a good bit for splake in the ADKs, but usually Limekiln up in Inlet. Michigan Stinger scorpions have always produced best for me. Usually in "natural" colors, gold silver copper and sometimes with some chartreuse patterns.

Lightweight dipsey or Chinook diver setups usually outfish riggers. Depending on time of year 25-30' down is usually the ticket as I see them suspended more than pinned to the bottom.

Colors can be fantastic on them. Great looking hybrid fish. Good luck.

Sean

Sent from my XT1650 using Lake Ontario United mobile app