Beyond frustrated with my Daiwa reels

For leadcore and weighted steel, I have around 14 daiwa sealine SLW50H/SLW60H - these are the 6 to 1 high speed reels.  On my first trip out this year, I had another one break.  This one wouldnt free spool and was hitching when reeling in.  I have another 6 reels that randomly lock up which I think is due to the level wind guide arm wearing out and sticking.  I ordered 8 new level wind arms directly from Daiwa and they said they said it might be a few weeks before they even ship them, but of course they charged me right away for the parts.  All of these reels are only 2 to 3 years old and pretty much 80% of them are going to need a rebuild this year.  I can do the level wind arms myself, but the rest I will need to send out.  Tournament time is coming up and I cant be waiting on parts or wait for a month turnaround on sending them out for repair.  So it looks like Im going to have to buy some replacements.  Any suggestions in the $100 to $150 range for high speed levelwind?  

For leadcore and weighted steel, I have around 14 daiwa sealine SLW50H/SLW60H - these are the 6 to 1 high speed reels.  On my first trip out this year, I had another one break.  This one wouldnt free spool and was hitching when reeling in.  I have another 6 reels that randomly lock up which I think is due to the level wind guide arm wearing out and sticking.  I ordered 8 new level wind arms directly from Daiwa and they said they said it might be a few weeks before they even ship them, but of course they charged me right away for the parts.  All of these reels are only 2 to 3 years old and pretty much 80% of them are going to need a rebuild this year.  I can do the level wind arms myself, but the rest I will need to send out.  Tournament time is coming up and I cant be waiting on parts or wait for a month turnaround on sending them out for repair.  So it looks like Im going to have to buy some replacements.  Any suggestions in the $100 to $150 range for high speed levelwind?  

The Seagates are a better reel in that price range and give you a better drag, and high retrieve rate. I ran the Sealine, and the seagate is a much better reel. They have the same drag system as the Saltist. I run Saltist and the Seagates for all of my full cores, and all of my coppers.

Capt Rich.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Yeah I dont know why the level wind arms are such a problem on mine.  Maybe I just got a batch that was outta spec.   If the arm has any wobble in it, it just going to wear over time since the level wind arm is at a slight angle as it goes back and forth.  Over time it elongates the hole and eventually it will bind due to the angle its sitting at. 

6 hours ago, Bosun Cowboy said:

I run the old school Diawa 47sh on 6 LC setups. Flawless reels for decades and find them used on this site and eBay. Prob the best trolling reel ever made.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Same  here. I wish those 47's came with a higher retrieve ratio for salmon and steelhead. I have moved on to Okuma's for the 6.1 retrieve ratios they offer in their models. I will still hang on to the Diawa reels though for inshore Brown trout. Great reels as far as I'm concerned.

Saltist would be the best but you will pay north of 150 for them. You can't argue with the Shimano Tekota although some aren't thrilled with their drag system. You might want to consider Okuma Convector or Coldwaters for their 6.1 and 6.2 gear ratios. They will run in the 90 to 115 dollar range.

Edited by MikeyP

I think you might find the Seagate a better option for your application.  The Seagate has carbon fiber drag, more ball bearings and stronger frame.  More $$$ but in your price range.  Sea line looks like a price point entry level reel- likely fine for the weekend guy.  Going up a notch or two to Seagate or Saltist better option for heavier use.  If it was me I’d fix the Sealines and pickup a couple Seagate to try then upgrade when I found something I liked.

• Like 1

Took 2 trips over the weekend and now the 2 Seagates that I have have to have the level wind arm replaced.  Granted these ones are about 5 years old.  Really wish they arms were like the old style Daiwas where the entire arm was metal - at least they should have a metal bushing.  Blazing back and forth on a screamer is just not good for the plastic on metal contact on the arm, especially in the 6 to 1 ratio.  

It may help if you religiously clean the bar and you use fine oil (sewing machine oil) on the bar. One of the problems that has arisen is the small particles of spiny fleas that fall on the bar,dry up and clog the channels. Very regular and precise cleaning ( use a tooth brush) followed by lubrication may lessen the problems.

Edited by rolmops
  • Like 1