Deans cove 6/24

Thank You for your report!  I'm actually thinking of going to Cayuga with son#2 tomorrow.  I own a Tracker Targa 18 Powered by a 90 HP Outboard with EFI and am always concerned with wind speed. The Weather Channel calls for 6 - 9 mph winds from 6am - noon.  My question is... at what wind speeds start to produce, "White Caps", IOW,  "When will my Aluminum Boat start to be tossed around like a Tin Can in Water!!!"  Ironically, I have had days of fantastic fishing when I'm fighting a fish with one arm and at the same time, trying to keep the boat straight with the other!  I have found that wind speeds over 10mph takes the fun out of solo trout fishing for me!  Thoughts???

I think the white caps on the larger Fingers start to form noticibly at about 10 mph but it depends on which end off the lake you are on and what direction the wind is blowing and how long the wind is sustained at that speed. When it hits 12 to 15 it is hard to have control of the speed of the lures and boat direction so it becomes a lot less fun.Lake O is a bit different animal because of  the sheer expanse of the lake. I have seen good sized rollers with no observable wind and I assume that it was from previous wind (maybe during the night?) coming across that huge surface and setting it in motion, OR it may have been windy miles away and the waves set up and  traveled from it without apparent wind in my location.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WuffWuff39 said:

Thank You for your report!  I'm actually thinking of going to Cayuga with son#2 tomorrow.  I own a Tracker Targa 18 Powered by a 90 HP Outboard with EFI and am always concerned with wind speed. The Weather Channel calls for 6 - 9 mph winds from 6am - noon.  My question is... at what wind speeds start to produce, "White Caps", IOW,  "When will my Aluminum Boat start to be tossed around like a Tin Can in Water!!!"  Ironically, I have had days of fantastic fishing when I'm fighting a fish with one arm and at the same time, trying to keep the boat straight with the other!  I have found that wind speeds over 10mph takes the fun out of solo trout fishing for me!  Thoughts???

If you don't have an autopilot I agree that winds over 10 make running solo tricky unless you are able to troll with the wind at your back.  As for what you may run in to tomorrow, if winds from any direction are under 10, not much to worry about.  Another factor is where you launch and where you plan to fish.  Out of Deans a West or Southwest wind won't bother much if you stay on the West side in 150 fow or less.  However, if the wind becomes more Southerly then its coming right up the lake at its widest part, so that area gets snotty.  If you launch at the South end at Treman, Taughannock, or Myers, conditions may be quite different, and often better, as the lake is not as wide through there.  Winter fishing when I launch at Taughannock I have often seen much rougher water from AES North past Deans during my ride home, (I live 4 miles North of Deans).   In the end, North or South winds over 10 are the ones to be most concerned with.  If you get to a launch and don't like what you see, try another one as the chop could be significantly different.  Good luck out there tomorrow

It was WSW today at 10-20. I have a pro guide v16 and it was no issue except for getting blown sideways. Mine is a tiller so it was a little more of a hassle to control while reeling fish in. A larger boat would have no issues with this wind direction. Of be there tomorrow but ill wait for a calmer day. Waves not the issue just boat control

Sent from my LGL64VL using Lake Ontario United mobile app