Copper down the chute

I’m no expert in running chute copper but when I do I clip a stern planer on the backer. Then if I need it out of the way I can just drop it back a ways and it’s always fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

The stern planer is a good idea and it becomes quickly evident when making adjustments; especially when you have to clear other lines for an unruly king:lol: I never run longer than a 300 copper

https://www.fishusa.com/Church-Tackle-TX-007-Stern-Planer?quantity=1&L-Size1=1094&msclkid=8d7ca40a6d6e1f4212b2fafedfe2e0ad&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping_PLA_All Products&utm_term=4585100930554943&utm_content=All Products

Edited by Sk8man

What I do down the chute is attached a large pike ball flouresent orange or chartreuse where braided meets the copper . When we hook up on dipseys or down riggers I let line out on copper so it is far back, then real it in where it was after fish is landed. Of course thats the only copper I have out at the time.

2 hours ago, cheeseyrider said:

What I do down the chute is attached a large pike ball flouresent orange or chartreuse where braided meets the copper . When we hook up on dipseys or down riggers I let line out on copper so it is far back, then real it in where it was after fish is landed. Of course thats the only copper I have out at the time.

That is a good idea!

4 hours ago, TyeeTanic said:

I can almost guarantee you, if you tangle up that copper with a popped dipsey line ... you'll never do it again. LOL.

Yeah, I run my copper down the chute almost exclusively, but I quickly turned a 300' copper into a 175' copper and shortened a wire line by about the same distance that exact way Tyee mentioned. Just pull out the cutters and start snipping. There is no undoing that mess.

Barring that mess though, I find if we move the copper out to a triple tree when fighting another fish we're usually OK. Sometimes with bigger fish you need to get that copper in ASAP though.

I run a 300 or 400 copper chute rod all the time. It can Get tricky but puts alot of extra fish in the boat. You will get tangles....but what rod doesn't? Move it to opposite side when fighting fish on other rods...or pull it if u get an unruly one on. No big deal. I have more issues with using boards than running a chute rod. Another advantage of the chute rod is it let's me know any time theres a cross current or I'm turning too fast.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

On 6/25/2020 at 12:56 PM, wrinklestar said:

That is a good idea!

On 6/25/2020 at 12:56 PM, wrinklestar said:

That is a good idea!

What is a pike ball?  I assume a large bobber. Excuse my ignorance.    Love coppers