Copper down the chute

• 4 weeks later...

I run them the chute all the time. Last time, it got into a dipsey. Had to cut out 100 feet of copper to get it undone.

I can almost guarantee you, if you tangle up that copper with a popped dipsey line ... you'll never do it again. LOL.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

If you love to run chute copper try keeping a big off shore or church in line board and. If you hook up on another rid, then just clip the board to your copper and send it out of the way

I stick to a 300 copper and run it off the inline first and then if nothing that way run it down the chute. The action is different each way and sometimes the fish will respond to one way and not the other. It is a good idea to pull it if a big king or particularly active king is on another rod (e.g. especially if they are doing the usual sideways stuff heading toward the surface):lol:

One of the common tangle problems occurs when a dipsy is triggered either by a fish or just by hand and folks forget that with 300 ft out on the dipsy when coming back up it is out that far. Another is when on a turn a dipsy even ever so slight that is out goes sideways and the trajectory (angle downward) of the dipsy and copper coincide.

I prefer the chute approach but sometimes when other folks on board have ten color leadcores out it becomes quite necessary right Bob?:lol:

I always ran a chute copper on my trophy 2460. When I hooked up On another rod I would stick the rod up on the rocket launcher and It kept the line out of the water For 100ft or so   it was easy to fight  a fish down the chute with the copper still out. 
  With my baha i switched to inline boards and I’m Pullin 400copper with FF On a walleye board 

Absolutely Love em. So much better them a rod down the chite IMO

When I hooked A big king, I let out another 100 foot of line and then cleared all lines and riggers. With the engine I chased a lot of line back
up and when we were near the boat we shut the engine down and raised it out of the water so the bottom of the boat was clear of obstructions. When the fish rolled on its side we then netted it.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United