Henderson Harbor fishing

Hi All,

I will be staying at Henchen Marina the week of July 11-18. I have a small boat (17' Alumacraft 115 mercury) and am a little leary of taking it out on Lake Ontario. I plan on fishing the bay only. Just want to catch some fish and have fun. What fish should I target in the bay? Pike? Pickerel? SMB? Sheephead? etc. Troll? Cast? Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi All,
I will be staying at Henchen Marina the week of July 11-18. I have a small boat (17' Alumacraft 115 mercury) and am a little leary of taking it out on Lake Ontario. I plan on fishing the bay only. Just want to catch some fish and have fun. What fish should I target in the bay? Pike? Pickerel? SMB? Sheephead? etc. Troll? Cast? Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks

If the big lake is calm you can easily head out into the lake. You can troll or cast in Henderson Harbor and Sackets Harbor/ Black River Bay. Pike , perch, SMB, Sheepshead. If you get out into the lake you can add Salmon, Steelhead, Brown Trout, Lake Trout, Walleyes to the list.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Try trolling small stickbaits ( rapala f9 firetiger or white/ black back) in 10 ft of water to locate smallmouth and perch. When located try casting. If  u find fish around weeds you hit paydirt. I was there june 15. I got one 12 lb walkeye but that was outside the bay in 50 fow 30 ft down with 3 color leadcore.

Edited by newmike

Hey Hairbone, this is a guy fishin with his family. The heart and soul of thr outdoors. You don' even know if this guy has salmon fishin equipment like riggers to get out on the lake. Its just a rude comment and LOU can do without it. And Thork you ain't much better. Put a lid on it.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, MRBIG said:

I will be there week of July 11-18. Meet me at Henchens and I will give you something to scream about. If you have a set that is. A hole.

I guess I am an a hole. .  You asked.  I think you will have to get to 60’ of water to catch something other than little white perch & gobies by then. I could be wrong. 

I've been fishing in Henderson Harbor for the last ten years, mainly for perch. I may be up there the week you'll be there, and if so I'll get in touch with you.  You will have a good time fishing in the harbor. It's excellent.    
As far as salmon fishing is concerned, July isn't the time, especially in close. I caught my biggest salmon ever up there, 34#, but it wasn't until the last part of August. 

Hey Hairbone, this is a guy fishin with his family. The heart and soul of thr outdoors. You don' even know if this guy has salmon fishin equipment like riggers to get out on the lake. Its just a rude comment and LOU can do without it. And Thork you ain't much better. Put a lid on it.

Well said Newmike. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Just now, wrinklestar said:

Bass Island Gull Island and Horse Island, the area just off from morgias beach all have pretty decent fishing around them year round.  

If you get over to horse island you cant drive between the island and the mainland with most boats, it is best to go out and around if you are heading over to the sackets side.

Thanks. Looking into Guffin Bay Resort. May be a better fit for the kind of fishing I am after. Only reason I was looking at Henchen is because they allow pets. I usually fish the Canadian side but can't get there this year.

Edited by MRBIG

I can wave to you from across the bay.  From there you can find calm water regardless of wind direction.  On either side of guffins, around cherry island, or long point on point peninsula.  Plenty of good places to drown bait.  Likely less boat traffic and more open restaurants than henderson right now.   You can by bait around chaumont but dont expect to go into any place with any significant tackle.  You can get hooks and sinkers but not much more. 

AirBNB has a few places one of which is Joe Bearup at Bearup marine by the  Chaumont  Yacht club.  I think it comes with a boat slip that will accomdate a 30ft boat.  

That is on sawmill bay on the opposite side of Point Salubrius.

If possible I would definitely go for Chaumont Bay. I fished  that also jun 19. It had alot more action than Henderson. Lots of perch and smallmouths. Some of N.Pike.