Fish hawk x4 issues

I had a hard time getting my x4 to send back probe info last weekend. It would give me a read and then the probe readings would disappear and then re-appear but might be way out of calibration etc.  manual says I may need to increase gain if my rigger are weights are under 15# which mine are. I’m not certain they are 10-12# off the top of my head. Anyway I was curious if anyone has had similar issues and how high on the gain you had to go to get proper readings again. 

I have had the exact problem.  1st thing I did was replace the batteries.  This appeared to fix the problem.  When I noticed that it was still sending intermittent signals I looked closer at the battery pack to find that all 4 batteries were not snapped into place correctly.  They APPEARED to be in place.  But if I pushed on the batteries they were not snapped in correctly.  In order to correct this I wrapped all 4 batteries with electric tape TIGHTLY.  Haven't had a problem since. 

If this is not the problem, call the manufacturer and they will walk you through re-setting the gain back to factory settings. 

It’s a brand new probe, and brand new batteries and I’m certain they were in completely. My issue has to do with a need to increase the gain due to the size of my downrigger weights. The manufacturer states that an increase in gain may be necessary when using weights less than #15 which is why I asked what others have found to be the ideal gain setting in this case 

Edited by Oxbow Custom Rods

I use 10# weights and do not have to increase my gain at all.  Factory settings SHOULD take that into consideration.  Now, if your speed is 2.7 or higher you may way to increase the gain or adjust your transducer angle.  Your weight and probe may be almost outside the angle of the transducer???   

My probe was brand new last year and the battery connections were not PERFECT.  Just saying....there should be zero movement once you snap those batteries in.  Mine were not perfect and I lost signal all the time.