Here you go locals, it's started. What's going on? Obviously for you more local fisherman this effects you more than us guys who travel to Oswego a couple of weekends a year. Any new info that could be provided would be appreciated.

I was there yesterday 6/27/2020 at 7AM the check in shack was boarded up.People were putting in there boats and there were trailers in the big parking lot.There was a lot of room.I think in was free to launch no one was there but I can not tell you how long this will last they might put construction things in the parking lot etc, this is the best I can tell you.

Edited by cjc
add
  • Like 1

I have heard they are going to use the parking lots for something that Politicians think is more important than fishermen, with vehicles and trailers. So that's going to go away from what I have been told, so if you think this is bad wait till you see what they will do to you. You can launch but no where to park your vehicle and trailer close by. I guess they found a way they can make more money, so its there for them to steal.

I'm not going to defend anybody,but a lot of work did need doing in and around Wrights Landing. They have been busy for about a year now replacing sewers and such things. The virus thing opened  a window of opportunity for doing work inside the Marina area while the place was closed and while water levels allowed the town to do this. (remember last year?). This project has provided work for many people in and around Oswego while at the same time improving infrastructure. Yes I love fishing and I would love to have my rig in a slip.At the same time,launching and parking has not been a problem at all.

Looking at the big picture, I think that playing with our hobbies really is not as important as keeping people in a job in a town that does not have a lot of financial opportunities and not such a great economy. So maybe we should figure that into the picture. For all we know they may even build a restaurant that has good food so we no longer have to travel to Mexico to the Eis House for a decent bite. 

Edited by rolmops
  • Thanks 1

Never heard of the Ellis house, if I'm near Mexico I always try to stop at Brandy's. Good food, reasonable prices and alot of it! I never remember being offered a wine list though.

4 hours ago, fishinfreak said:

Is the parking really that bad. I'm thinking of coming up with my two sons Friday or Saturday. I don't want to make the two-hour drive just to have to go find another port.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

For now the word seems to be that its fine.  Comments are about the final plans which remain to be seen.

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 9:52 AM, rolmops said:

I'm not going to defend anybody,but a lot of work did need doing in and around Wrights Landing. They have been busy for about a year now replacing sewers and such things. The virus thing opened  a window of opportunity for doing work inside the Marina area while the place was closed and while water levels allowed the town to do this. (remember last year?). This project has provided work for many people in and around Oswego while at the same time improving infrastructure. Yes I love fishing and I would love to have my rig in a slip.At the same time,launching and parking has not been a problem at all.

Looking at the big picture, I think that playing with our hobbies really is not as important as keeping people in a job in a town that does not have a lot of financial opportunities and not such a great economy. So maybe we should figure that into the picture. For all we know they may even build a restaurant that has good food so we no longer have to travel to Mexico to the Eis House for a decent bite. 

Not a HOBBIE for quite a few who are affected on an already tough year... The mayor is clueless and short sided.  The end result is not an improvement it is lipstick on a pig... There will not be new docks but they are going to spend a MILLION dollars on a fountain... I hope you enjoy the fountain...   There are a few other major items but I have already said to much...  Anyone want to ask the city why they fired the original design engineering company and decided they could do it better themselves??  Anyone?  How about returning deposits to all the dockers who paid thinking they were going to have a dock this year?? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So a fountain, you can steal a lot of money pretending to spend it on and expensive fountain next to the one of the largest fresh water sources in the world. Makes sense if your a white collar thief. 

By the way, I do think that the government institutions like the city that is going to manage a marina should do it at least as efficient as the privately owned marinas.  Do you know of any marina that is not used 7 months a year shutting down and doing the work the 5 months it can be used. That was a rhetorical question, only a moron would do that if there was a way to avoid it. Even if the work took 3 years in the winter they would still do all the work in the off season.  

Edited by Knotlost Charters
  • Like 1

It is very easy to accuse and condemn, specially when you are a spectator.

I would suggest reading this small article. Sorry, there are no pictures...  It mentions new  bath room/shower facilities and fire pits. It also mentions that the marina will be elevated in order to prevent a repeat of the flooding we saw last year. It does not mention a fountain, although there might be one in the beautification plans.

Mayor Billy Barlow announced City of Oswego Department of Public Works has started construction on several improvement projects coming to Wright’s Landing Marina this summer.

The project, named the Wright’s Landing Marina Boater Services Improvement project, will further strengthen, support, and complement the ongoing momentum to revitalize Oswego’s waterfront to provide enhanced amenities to appeal to existing boaters and attract new boaters as well as attract more people to experience and better enjoy the picturesque waterfront on Lake Ontario. The project will improve the boater, recreational and leisure amenities at Wright’s Landing Marina through the construction, renovation and improvements of existing bathroom/shower facilities, new boater access services building, new pavilion, and installation of new stone fire pits along the waterfront, and making the marina ADA accessible. The awarded grant from the Department of State is $934,200 with the total project cost estimated at $1.6 million.

“Our Wright’s Landing Marina Boater Services Improvement project, along with our REDI improvements, will completely transform Wright’s Landing Marina into a modern, state-of-the-art marina that will attract more boaters, more visitors and Oswego residents into the marina and along our waterfront,” said Mayor Billy Barlow. “For years, we’ve had to admit, as a community, we failed to capitalize on our waterfront. The upcoming changes will enhance our marina and are projects that were identified by the boaters themselves during our 2016 waterfront feasibility study. I truly believe once the projects are completed, we will see an influx in boating traffic into the Oswego Harbor and will have a marina that can help market our entire community,” Barlow said.

Nathan Emmons, Director of Economic Development, said “The Wright’s Landing Marina Boater Services Improvement project beginning this spring along our waterfront is truly transformative and is a result of the Mayor Barlow’s vision to have a vibrant waterfront. I am very proud of the work to date with our waterfront and look forward to enjoying are revitalized waterfront when complete.”

Wright’s Landing Marina is currently closed until July 13th due to COVID-19 and the beginning of the planned construction. The City of Oswego is currently planning more construction as part of the $12.6 million REDI improvements funded by New York State that will elevate the marina to prevent future flooding from high water levels, expected to begin later this summer. Construction for the Wright’s Landing Improvement project is expected to last through this year with other REDI and FEMA projects lasting through 2021.

Edited by rolmops

10 hours ago, rolmops said:

It is very easy to accuse and condemn, specially when you are a spectator.

I would suggest reading this small article. Sorry, there are no pictures...  It mentions new  bath room/shower facilities and fire pits. It also mentions that the marina will be elevated in order to prevent a repeat of the flooding we saw last year. It does not mention a fountain, although there might be one in the beautification plans.

Mayor Billy Barlow announced City of Oswego Department of Public Works has started construction on several improvement projects coming to Wright’s Landing Marina this summer.

The project, named the Wright’s Landing Marina Boater Services Improvement project, will further strengthen, support, and complement the ongoing momentum to revitalize Oswego’s waterfront to provide enhanced amenities to appeal to existing boaters and attract new boaters as well as attract more people to experience and better enjoy the picturesque waterfront on Lake Ontario. The project will improve the boater, recreational and leisure amenities at Wright’s Landing Marina through the construction, renovation and improvements of existing bathroom/shower facilities, new boater access services building, new pavilion, and installation of new stone fire pits along the waterfront, and making the marina ADA accessible. The awarded grant from the Department of State is $934,200 with the total project cost estimated at $1.6 million.

“Our Wright’s Landing Marina Boater Services Improvement project, along with our REDI improvements, will completely transform Wright’s Landing Marina into a modern, state-of-the-art marina that will attract more boaters, more visitors and Oswego residents into the marina and along our waterfront,” said Mayor Billy Barlow. “For years, we’ve had to admit, as a community, we failed to capitalize on our waterfront. The upcoming changes will enhance our marina and are projects that were identified by the boaters themselves during our 2016 waterfront feasibility study. I truly believe once the projects are completed, we will see an influx in boating traffic into the Oswego Harbor and will have a marina that can help market our entire community,” Barlow said.

Nathan Emmons, Director of Economic Development, said “The Wright’s Landing Marina Boater Services Improvement project beginning this spring along our waterfront is truly transformative and is a result of the Mayor Barlow’s vision to have a vibrant waterfront. I am very proud of the work to date with our waterfront and look forward to enjoying are revitalized waterfront when complete.”

Wright’s Landing Marina is currently closed until July 13th due to COVID-19 and the beginning of the planned construction. The City of Oswego is currently planning more construction as part of the $12.6 million REDI improvements funded by New York State that will elevate the marina to prevent future flooding from high water levels, expected to begin later this summer. Construction for the Wright’s Landing Improvement project is expected to last through this year with other REDI and FEMA projects lasting through 2021.

This is called Kool Aid!   I would encourage you to FOIA the city of Oswego for the plans for the Marina....   See if you think you'll be able to turn a 25ft boat trailer around in the parking lot when they are done... Again there are many things happening down there that they aren't talking about.   I really wish I could say more....   Keep in mind they fired the original MARINA engineer and decided they could design it better themselves..... 

• Like 3

I really get pissed off when they do construction on the thruway,I have to slow down.  Haha, Construction has to be done, summer is a good time. Close area, do the work getter done more quickly.

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 7:06 AM, elrodalonzo said:

Lot of armchair engineers and contractors here.  Many we should wait till its done before we pass judgement.  Usually new projects turn out to be beautiful.

No arm chair here.  I run major construction for a living when I am not fishing... Build schedules for projects ten times the size of Wrights Landing that allows municipalities to continue income and complete there projects on time and under budget.  If my projects looked or ran anything like this one I would have been out of a job a long time ago.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tall Tails said:

No arm chair here.  I run major construction for a living when I am not fishing... Build schedules for projects ten times the size of Wrights Landing that allows municipalities to continue income and complete there projects on time and under budget.  If my projects looked or ran anything like this one I would have been out of a job a long time ago.   

Exactly I have been a construction supervisor as well, and I don't know any in private sector that would not have gotten canned  over the way they are doing this job..  So many cool aid drinkers.....

A question, does anyone know if the same person who is running this is the person who stored the International Marina docks in the marina two years ago instead of taking them into the canal locks like the Wrights Landing docks have been stored for years ?  Public employees can't  be fired.

What the? Lack of communication and planning. My boat is in my driveway because I trusted people and signed to be there by July 13th. I'm giving up charters and paying deposits. Arm chair maybe but if I had planned like this in my passed I would not have lasted well. I've watched this whole thing as I am a local. Great things going on in the end I agree. All work could have been done off season in regards to preventing dockage. Hey maybe have fixed things in steps instead of just on a whim. I would recommend Microsoft project planning

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 1:51 PM, rolmops said:

I think the reason why it is not done by a contractor is because of the stipulations set forth in the grant that pays for all of this.

This comment right here shows you know zero about Construction and Grants.....  The Mayor and the City are Misguided as it gets.

• Like 1