wheel or eye

aren't copper/leadcore dipsy rods supposed to have a wheel on the tip instead of an eye?

Leadcore and cooper do not need a wheel at the tip top. Wire rods can be run with roller tip. Copper and leadcore are not used for dipseys, steel wire, braid and mono are used for divers.

Capt Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

1 hour ago, Rich D said:

Leadcore and cooper do not need a wheel at the tip top. Wire rods can be run with roller tip. Copper and leadcore are not used for dipseys, steel wire, braid and mono are used for divers.

Capt Rich

Ok thanks for reply. I know kind of a dumb question but I'm just getting into trolling for salmon/trout and I got some dipsy rods and one of them is for copper/lead(sent by mistake). It is my understanding wire and copper setups are for running deeper water? I have a small boat and am not going to go too far out.

Ok thanks for reply. I know kind of a dumb question but I'm just getting into trolling for salmon/trout and I got some dipsy rods and one of them is for copper/lead(sent by mistake). It is my understanding wire and copper setups are for running deeper water? I have a small boat and am not going to go too far out.

Yes, wire with a dipsey, which you should use a twilli tip for, if you are not using a roller rod, are for deeper presentations. Leadcore will achieve a depth of approx 5’ per color, or 30’ length. Copper will achieve a depth of approx 22’ per 100’ of copper for standard 32lb copper, and the 45lb will go deeper. So depending on how deep you are looking to fish, will tell you which presentation you should be looking at. A little more info on where you will be fishing and when you are looking to fish will be very helpful on getting better info.

Capt Rich.

10 minutes ago, Rich D said:

Yes, wire with a dipsey, which you should use a twilli tip for, if you are not using a roller rod, are for deeper presentations. Leadcore will achieve a depth of approx 5’ per color, or 30’ length. Copper will achieve a depth of approx 22’ per 100’ of copper for standard 32lb copper, and the 45lb will go deeper. So depending on how deep you are looking to fish, will tell you which presentation you should be looking at. A little more info on where you will be fishing and when you are looking to fish will be very helpful on getting better info.

Capt Rich.

I figure on going out of Mexico, or Port Ontario. As far as when I'm going to try and come up next sunday to get my feet wet so to speak.

I figure on going out of Mexico, or Port Ontario. As far as when I'm going to try and come up next sunday to get my feet wet so to speak.

As of right now temps are deep, but that change with the winds. So it would be copper lines, wire dipseys, since the fleas are just starting, and will only get worse. If you have a full core, you might be able to find a fish or two up higher in the water column, again this may change if the winds blow out of the south or NE. You can probably find browns in shallower, guessing 40-80’, again depending on down temps in the bay. Coolers in 300-600’ is where you will need to be, so I am not sure what lengths you have, or are going to look at buying. A 400-500’ copper can always be run down the chute and you can run it at whatever length you want. Good luck, keep watching the reports from the bay to see where the temps are. If you have a speed and temp unit, then you will be all set!!

Capt Rich.

21 minutes ago, Rich D said:

As of right now temps are deep, but that change with the winds. So it would be copper lines, wire dipseys, since the fleas are just starting, and will only get worse. If you have a full core, you might be able to find a fish or two up higher in the water column, again this may change if the winds blow out of the south or NE. You can probably find browns in shallower, guessing 40-80’, again depending on down temps in the bay. Coolers in 300-600’ is where you will need to be, so I am not sure what lengths you have, or are going to look at buying. A 400-500’ copper can always be run down the chute and you can run it at whatever length you want. Good luck, keep watching the reports from the bay to see where the temps are. If you have a speed and temp unit, then you will be all set!!

Capt Rich.

Thank you for the advise Sir!!!