VHF radio antenna?

I just bought a uniden vhf marine radio. My question is what antenna is needed for out on lake Ontario? There seems to be many different sizes, want to make sure I get the right one.

8 ft for sure. The taller the antenna the greater the range. I use Shakespeare , but any quality 8 ft should foot the bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

What channels are in use ?

Depends on what port ur out of. Usually 68, 69 and 72 are the recreational channels. You are required by law to monitor 16 for distress calls

18 minutes ago, chinook35 said:

Depends on what port ur out of. Usually 68, 69 and 72 are the recreational channels. You are required by law to monitor 16 for distress calls

Gotcha. Was thinking that. Usually out of Henderson 

when I go out of Henderson I also monitor 18 along with 68-69-72

I hope you mean 16. It’s the law to monitor 16 for distress calls. I thought 18 was a ship to shore telephone service Costs big bucks to use

No 18 is what the charter boats in Henderson use that is why I monitor it

I hope you mean 16. It’s the law to monitor 16 for distress calls. I thought 18 was a ship to shore telephone service Costs big bucks to use

Sent from my SM-G970U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I scan a few channels and my radio will automatically go to 16 but when I'm at Henderson 18 seams the best for info but that fleet is owned by a law breaker so I'm sure they don't care what channels they use [emoji857]

I see that. It’s commercial only.

2 minutes ago, Zinger11 said:

I scan a few channels and my radio will automatically go to 16 but when I'm at Henderson 18 seams the best for info but that fleet is owned by a law breaker so I'm sure they don't care what channels they use emoji857.png

🍿 Hmm interesting 🤣 conversation just got more interesting 

I scan a few channels and my radio will automatically go to 16 but when I'm at Henderson 18 seams the best for info but that fleet is owned by a law breaker so I'm sure they don't care what channels they use [emoji857]

The charter boys are commercial, so they can legally use 18 Seems years ago it was cardinal coast guard and they would make a ship to shore call for you at an exorbitant fee. Cell phone probably took care of that