WALLEYES in the St. Lawrence, Clayton/Eastern Basin,Chamount

I am interested in finding the Holy Grail as well.

All the fishing I did on the Shores of Jefferson County and surrounding areas as a kid growing up introduced me to plenty of Bass (Rock, White, LM and SM), Bullhead, Bluegill, Crappy, Perch (inadvertently the American Eel), and Rainbow, while the mysterious and elusive Walleye remained a creature heard of but not seen.

Now that I am the proud owner of an all species fishing boat, Mr. Salmon, Brownies and the Walleye hope to be included in the list.

To those who know, "Do tell!"

Only place I've got em is at the south end of calf island. A bit of shoal called calf island spit runs for about 1/4 mile south to a marker. many moons ago I have gone there and caught walleyes on top of that shoal at night and the time was in August....so I don't know about now but that is my experience...drifted bucktail jigs tipped with nitecrawler with no motor running. south to north wind blowing about 5 to 10 mph back towards the island...worm harnesses worked too just working them up off the bottom and touching back down. Other than that I don't know where else to go except in early season the guys that do hook up generaly fish the black river gay up near the shallows of the river mouth. stealth is a priority there as there are lots of boats in the general area and most are using electric motors or just drifting in the wind.

Word of caution about Calf island.. the waves build fast there as the wind increases from the south, and the shoal amplifies the steepness so be careful of the side drift presentation... way out in open water just so you know to be prepared.

Mark

Many "eyes" to be had with the same setup as above. Try around the TI bridge west to large FL Green marker 209 (across from the Torch Motel on the island). The water is about 20' to 100' in a very short span and the current is ROCKING!! The fishing there is fantastic. Doug