You guys run swivels on your spoons?

Two main methods depending on the particular spoon and the desired action: a) SOLID RING Ball bearing swivel smallest size practical, black in color, with a rounded snap. I usually buy the swivels separately and marry them up with a small duolock snap for best results, b) use a small #8 Sprobarrel swivel about 3 or 4 ft up the leader  with a small duolock at the end.

There can be slight differences in the action of the particular spoon being used based on which method is selected....may seem arbitrary or irrelevant but attention to detail can make a difference; especially when fish are "fussy"

Edited by Sk8man

Haha first time ever fishing tied line rite to spoon that’s a mistake you’ll only make once when you reel in your line and see the last ten feet twisted like nothing you’ve ever seen .... yes I run swivels with no problems SK8man’s post hit the nail on the head

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Ring on spoon, tie to ring, no snap. No ring use snap , swivel at rod length, action better, when I use snap to a ring action of spoon is less, just the way I do it. Use good swivels

I use #10 spro swivels to connect my 8’ leader (just short of rod length) to the mainline then a 45# rated duolock snap at the spoon end. So far so good.  I use heavier hardware for ff and dipsey set ups

I go with a bead chain swivel then attach flouro leader with a snap at the end for the spoon or FF combo I'm running. Leader length depends on rod size and preference when handling and

netting fish.

This may/may not be a silly question but:

what type of knots are people tying to their swivels? 

I'm running Seaguar 25lb STS flouro leaders on my downriggers (behind bead chain), and same 25lb STS for my diver leaders.  NOTE:  I'm tying normal Palomar or Trilene type mono knots, but I picked up/read somewhere that flouro aint mono, and therefore, I shouldn't use regular old mono knots on fluoro?

Might be splitting hairs here, because I've not had any break-offs, but I'd rather be good than lucky when it comes to the details.

PS:  anyone else using the Seaguar STS type fluoro leader material?  Not sure I'm impressed.  I'm finding tiny frays and nicks in 1/6 or 1/8 of my leaders after each trip. And I'm pretty careful on my small boat, keep things tidy, keep leaders carefully wrapped on pool noodles between trips, etc.  Retying when nicks/frays are found before next trip.  Just curious.

Yep, I always use a Palomar knot for my fluoro leaders no matter how heavy the #test. For mono I Usually use an improved clinch knot with a double loop at the eye with 5 twists for light line under 15# and 4 twists for anything heavier. I don’t remember the last time I had a break off at the knot.

Yes, Palomar knots for me as well...I make sure to tie the bead chain to the leader first, then the main line next so I can use a palomar knot on both ends of the bead chain. Tie snap on end to attach spoon.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fishnatzee said:

Yes, Palomar knots for me as well...I make sure to tie the bead chain to the leader first, then the main line next so I can use a palomar knot on both ends of the bead chain. Tie snap on end to attach spoon.

That’s what I do and rarely have a failure.   I use the Uni knot on the mono or braid.