Boat repair

Duck1

Looking for some help and advice. I have a 2001 sylvan navigator 19 foot, the aluminum skin on the stren is deteriorated where its needing to be replaced, thinking the transom wood had reaction to the aluminum. My question is, does anyone one know of someone that does this type of work? I live in Ohio and will drive to have it replaced. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I would stop at your local body shop and ask them or stop at a welding shop that does aluminum .If your wood is solid I would think they could just weld a piece of aluminum with the same dimensions over your existing tranny. Or even a bit smaller that would go up to your rivets .. If wood is shot its not that hard of a DIY project to replace it . Then have the shop weld on the replacement or cover over piece. Two metals that are the same should not have a corrosive reaction. If it was me I would have them cover it vs removing it and then fabricating everything back on it.

The transom wood is in great shape and I don't know if its treated wood. I read somewhere where lund had a similar issue, if that's true I don't know. The transom is fully enclosed so I can't see the wood other than where the corrosion has eat thru the aluminum and the wood looked good. Someone in the boats life has done repairs to the aluminum, filled in those spots , sanded and painted. It looks like a professional paint job until it started bubbling and now that's where my trouble began.

I have the same boat with the same problem. There is a guy here in sodus ny that can fix it for around 5k. If parts are avalible. When i was there getting a quote. He showed me one from an alumicraft he just finished. Looked like a rotted old fender on the inside. I have tried several times to contact sylvan. With no call back. There are no sylvan dealers left in my area. My next call is to a smoker craft dealer. If i remember correctly this boat is a 2000 millennium. If you would line any contact info. Pm me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

No way would I pay 5,000 for a transom repair. You could buy another boat for that kind of money . . I am guessing that 500 to a max of 1,000 would be the going price for the repair your looking at. 500, for a basic plate over and 1,000 to knock out rivets and weld her back up. This would be based on you taking engine and anything else on the transom off so they have a clean slate to work with.

If you think that the problem is caused by a chemical reaction with the transom wood. It would be a good idea to double check the bottom of your boat near the stern.

Although the wood would not be my main suspect. I would first check whether the hull and engine are properly grounded and whether the anodes on the engine are in good or bad shape.. Specially if that boat has ever been in salt water

Then there is the question of the dock where you dock your boat. Does it have shore to ship power hookups anywhere nearby?? If so, the aluminum may corrode a lot faster.

Edited by rolmops

Rolmops , thanks for reply. The anodes on both motors ( 150 and 9.9 kicker) the anodes are in great shape. There is no damage to the bottom of stern or anywhere else on the whole boat or motor's. All damage is in relation to the transom, it has damage on top cap of the transom also. I will check the ground on the motors. Thanks

Bozeman bob, I agree I'm not paying 5000 for repairs. I will know a little more come Monday when I take it to amish welding shop and fabricators. I was thinking that if they could plate it, its possible it could last for years I'm hoping. Just looking for ideas before I move forward. Thanks to all that have responded . I have never had to deal with this type of issue so all the input is greatly appreciated.