Kicker motor upgrade. Any advice

Hey all. Currently looking at upgrading my kicker.

I have a 16ft Starcraft fish and ski bow rider. 90hp Merc 2 stroke. Currently running a 5 hp Merc 2 stroke kicker.

I find it loud and it rattles a lot when trolling.

I am thinking of upgrading to a four stroke to eliminate the use of an external gas tank and to be able to add a trollmaster pro.

My main motor is oil injected so my main gas tank is not mixed fuel.

Now question is. 6hp four or 8? I have an adjustable mount off my swim platform so I can’t put anything too heavy on it. The weight difference between the two motors is 20 lbs.

I’m just worried the 6hp might not have enough power for my boat. Haven’t had issues yet with my current 5.

Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Dump the Merc and replace both with a 15-20 hp 4 stroke. They troll good and no extra weight on the transom. No mixed gasoline and better mileage.

I would opt for an 8hp 4 stk have purchased 2 Tohatsu kickers in the past ran great with no issues and relatively light,If I remember weight was about 80 lbs.

Thanks. Just started looking Into the Tohatsu

I have an 8 hp tohatsu on a 16ft boat with a 60hp merc main. I love the tohatsu. Trolls right down slow, and its super quiet and fuel efficient. I've had no issues what so ever with mine. I have a troll master on it. I took the tiller arm off and just have the troll master as the throttle. It's a great set up. Also, the 8hp will push my boat enough that if I had trouble with my main I could get back on the kicker. Definitely cant say enough good things about the tohatsu. Great little motor

• Like 1

I have a long shaft 9.8 4 stroke electric start Tohatsu that replaced a 9.9 Johnson 2 stroke. The increased torque of the 4 stroke actually allowed me to get rid of my EZ steer connector for my 135 Merc Optimax (18 ft Boston Whaler) so I don't need any connector at all even into moderate wind. It sips fuel and is relatively quiet running. It weighs about 90 lbs.Very happy with it.

Edited by Sk8man

Tohatsu makes all Merc engines up to 40hp and are good engines.  Your 16' boat will be easily pushed with a 5hp Honda or a 6hp of any make.  I had both hp sizes on a 16' Sylvan Adventurer and a Princecraft 166 Super Pro.  

8hp will be fine but a 6hp will do and just get a 4 stroke to tie directly into the main gas line.

If my memory serves me correctly some of the specific hookups for auto trolling devices for Tohatsu require at least an 8 hp Tohatsu I think.

Edited by Sk8man

Tohatsu makes all Merc engines up to 40hp and are good engines.  Your 16' boat will be easily pushed with a 5hp Honda or a 6hp of any make.  I had both hp sizes on a 16' Sylvan Adventurer and a Princecraft 166 Super Pro.  

8hp will be fine but a 6hp will do and just get a 4 stroke to tie directly into the main gas line.

Just worried about the noise and rattle from the 6 hp. Advice on here is to stay away for the single cylinder because of this

Although Tohatsu  makes the Merc smaller motors they are not identical. I compared mine with a Merc firsthand and the Merc is built to different specs and the frame of it appears stouter. I wanted lightweight to stay similar weight-wise to my former 2 stroke on my bracket. Onlineoutboards is about the best for price around and free shipping etc.If it were me I'd be going with at least an 8hp regardless of make. The fuel consumption differences on these new motors makes that consideration nearly irrelevant. I can hear other fishermen talking to me from other boats over the 4 stroke I couldn't with my two stroke. They seem to become even a bit quieter when fully broken in with some hours on them too or at least it seems it. Although hooking up a 4 stroke kicker to the main fuel supply is popular and may be convenient it also has a potential drawback and that is if the main fuel becomes corrupted somehow and you need to get off the water right away it could be a real problem so I keep a separate 3 gal. fuel tank as the source for the kicker and you can easily troll all day with that size tank without problem.

Edited by Sk8man

I have a Suzuki 9.9 4stroke fuel injected. It’s a twin cylinder no vibration plenty of power to push my 24 foot cabin cruiser. Sips gas and you can’t hear it run.

I currently have a 6hp tohatsu (sail king) as a kicker on my 16'. I have it rigged with a quick disconnect steering rod and a controlking electronic throttle control. It is hooked to my main tank thru a canister fuel filter  . I does a decent job but does have some vibration.

My old 17' lund had a 8hp tohatsu with the same steering connection and controlking (different servo) run off a separate 3gal tank. it was definately smoother and had electric start 

Between the two I would go 8hp and if you have the space I agree with SK8Man that the separate tank is a safer option. I have never had any issues with either

Living in NY online outboards was the way to go for purchasing , free shipping, no tax, quick delivery

Not too many people run with a separate tank for a kicker these days.  If you feel that your fuel tank in your boat may be compromised, you shouldn't be on the water period.

I've run kickers off the main tank for over 35 years without issue.  I've had main motors that wouldn't start up due to flat batteries but the kicker got me in.

Edited by HBC
  • Like 1

to each his own 

I have run kickers since the 70s and have had them both ways. I have only ever run in on a kicker once (not my boat), but if it had been a shared tank we would have needed a tow

If you are careful with managing/treating your fuel a shared tank should be fine but I see it as another safety feature

Please explain to me how you will get out on the lake with the main motor if you are concerned with the fuel in there as you stated?  How does the main motor work one way but somehow the gas goes bad so you can't make it back in?

I am certainly not interested in turning this into a p***ing contest. Your experiences lead you to a certain opinion and you are welcome to that - the same holds true for me and everyone else on this board. Thats great you have never had an issue - I hope your run continues. 

As I recall his boat used the 6 gal tanks, he filled a tank on way to launch - apparently got some junk fuel (??) - filter ended up getting plugged & main OB stalled on way in and would not restart/run- we ran in on the kicker using another tank. Could his overall boat maint been a contributing cause - maybe. Would we have gotten in running kicker on same tank - maybe but .... Did we get home safe running the kicker off the other tank - definately

Funny things happen when you spend time running boats and any time you have a single point of failure stuff can happen - safety should always be our first concern and my suggestion allows for redundancy in the fuel supply

Those are my thoughts & experiences - take them for what they are - I am done

I agree with sk8man although mine is plumbed to the fuel tank but it absolutely needs a shutoff.  The main motor will pull in through the kicker line if you dont have it, possibly creating a lean condition.  I have had no problem at all with the setup but this Saturday the alarm on my 225 went off because of water in the fuel.  The 225 is a two stroke so I couldnt hear it until I backed of the throttle.  Every time I head out fishing it is about 30 miles round trip, I have not had an issue in 3 years.  Gassed up before I left just like I always do.    

On the kicker selection I would likely go with at least the 8 but probably the 9.9.  The weight isnt that much more and if you do lose the main motor a larger kicker does give you more maneuverability.  There have been days out there in my 23 ft that I couldnt turn the boat trolling with the 9.9 and had to fire up the main motor.

2 hours ago, tuffishooker said:

Last year I packed in my 2cycle OMC kicker , 8 hp. for my 16 ft. StarCraft , spent the money for a 9.9 Yamaha and have not looked back ! Stern weight was not a major problem . You tend to get what you pay for !

Yamaha or a honda 9.9 only way to go