Kicker motor upgrade. Any advice

28 minutes ago, jimski2 said:

With a tee in line from one engine air is sucked into the line from the vent on the other engine and you will go no where.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Yeah you are correct, once the fuel has been sucked out.  My motor would start to cut out at anything above 4000 rpm's.  I put in a fuel shutoff at the T and it solved the problem.

I have run a 4S Mercury 9.9 off a small dedicated fuel tank on an 18' aluminum boat for 5 years, without any issues. The engine was a Craigslist purchase, and I probably put 100-125 hours a year on it. My only minor complaint on the 9.9 Merc is noise and vibration. It's louder than the 4S 115 Merc on the boat...... If doing it again, I'd get a Yamaha.

Have 8 hp Honda electric start. Runs around 2100 rpm pushing 20 ft alum 2.2-2.5 mph. Honda has high charging output keeps batteries topped. Like to keep rpms up for charging. Also would never buy electric start without a pull cord

I also have a Honda 8hp in longshaft  after using either an OMC or Mercury kicker. More weight in the longshaft model BUT the control and the ability to turn on a dime while trolling is superb. It does not stall when you tune it to run extremely slow. I Like  how the little motor charges my cranking battery.  My boat is 17 1/2 foot Lund Pro Sport with a 90. The fuel lines have the same connection so I can come home using either my inline tank or that of my trolling motor for either engine.  Both engines are Honda, solid and dependable. My 8hp Honda is easy starting and has brought me back a couple of times when the main motor failed. Because bad gas has become an issue here in Lake of the Woods I also now run like many others with an additional aftermarket fuel filter.

Hope this helps and good luck!

I ended up installing a generic water fuel seperater( bass pro shops ones). I should be able to run my two lines off this, keep the bulb on both lines after the seperater.

Going to look at the Tohatsu tomorrow

Thanks all

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

1 hour ago, tuffishooker said:

Define " bad gas " Laker 1  ? I always filter my gas and use octane 92  [ no ethanol]  gas ! The Yamaha dealer still advised the fuel additive !

Bad gas usually has to do with water, or gas that has been sitting for a while.  The unleaded gas doesnt have the shelf life of the old leaded stuff.  Additives really wont help with old gas, but you can usually smell it.

I run non ethanol 92 get it one of the same 2 places everytime and not had a problem.  This last trip water alarm went off.  I also run startron.  It can happen,  although I am wondering if perhaps the water sensor is bad.  

OK, for us in Ontario we have sometimes limited access to gas without ethanol.

In addition at fueling up we sometimes receive gas from the bottom of the tank that 

has been there for a long time. It seems to me and others that overall our gas has been reduced in octane quality so it deteriorates quicker than ever before. Plus we believe that the service tanks themselves at the gas station should be cleaned out periodically. Yes I do use Sea Foam or Stabil. Local boat dealers here also have concerns about gas quality so they always suggest premium fuel.