Any advice for Senca out of Lodi?

Hi all, I am thinking of hitting Senca for the first time tomorrow morning. I have heard reports that are not so good from Seneca, but also good ones. I usually fish Cayuga so I anticipate a slower day, but want to try somewhere new. I'm thinking of launching from lodi. Any advice on where to start? North or south from that point? I'll be trolling so Lakers or hopefully landlocks would be the target. Thanks!

Thanks guys. I'm just starting to put a plan together. I think I'll start right around lodi point for silvers at first light and then point the boat north and troll up towards Sampson. I'll report what I find 

Theres a good class of fish north of Sampson and also I've heard of a decent class of silvers near lodi in 150 fow.

Right now:
145 mag divers 2.5 spin dr fly
Gambler deaths traps on riggers 77 and 87
Spoon riggers in temp(35to60 pending current)
200, 250,300 coppers- stinger spoons oranges or glow.

Good luck.

Nick

Sent from my SM-G960U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for the ideas. I arrived to a choppy lake with a south wind. I started the morning right around lodi point using spoons in temp, which was 45 to 50 down. I had 2 releases at first light, but that was it. The wind shifted to the east and the lake layed down. So, I headed up by Sampson to fish bottom for lakers. No luck never moved a rod. So, no fish but 2 big releases. All in all Seneca was fun. Maybe I'll try down by Watkins next time I head there. Beautiful sunrise and day on the water. Cant beat it.

20200706_131855.jpg

Yeah. Weeds were real bad. East and west side. Made it hard to run rods solo in the chop this morning. As soon as I thought they were clear they would load up with weeds again. I saw some decent screens around lodi where I had the releases, but no one home. Most marks were up high like your screen. I did see some really good looking screens up by sampson but I drifted into 40 ft of water re rigging poles. My assumption was they were perch or something. 

20200706_063634(0).jpg

Yeah. Weeds were real bad. East and west side. Made it hard to run rods solo in the chop this morning. As soon as I thought they were clear they would load up with weeds again. I saw some decent screens around lodi where I had the releases, but no one home. Most marks were up high like your screen. I did see some really good looking screens up by sampson but I drifted into 40 ft of water re rigging poles. My assumption was they were perch or something. 
20200706_063634(0).thumb.jpg.10caf522f835ba22e80ef0bc50250577.jpg

Why are there so many surface weeds, it’s almost impossible to troll right now? Shouldn’t the weeds be growing off the bottom in shallow water, not floating? On top of that the fleas are starting up. When I can keep my lines clean for a few minutes, Lakers are down 65-75 in up to 100 FOW. That said, resetting lines constantly and driving by myself is no fun. I haven’t tried much for silvers as it is difficult to get enough line back from the release confidently without weeds. I did pick up several large LL’s about a month ago and would like to get back after them. Any areas of the lake clear of weeds today, I need a new area to set up. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
  • Like 1

Pleasure boats and jet ski’s cut a whole lot of weeds and send them floating. It’s always a problem near the 4th of July.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

On 7/6/2020 at 8:17 AM, lakebound88 said:

Theres a good class of fish north of Sampson and also I've heard of a decent class of silvers near lodi in 150 fow.

Right now:
145 mag divers 2.5 spin dr fly
Gambler deaths traps on riggers 77 and 87
Spoon riggers in temp(35to60 pending current)
200, 250,300 coppers- stinger spoons oranges or glow.

Good luck.

Nick

Very nice of you!

• Like 1

We put in at Sampson’s mid morning and trolled for a few hours. Nothing but weeds and flea’s. Ran three Spin docks with flys, a green lake troll with peanut and a spoon up high. Screen looked decent in front of the marina but no action. Anyone do anything this morning? We will be back at it tomorrow. We are the vintage tan/brown Lund.

• Like 1

Saw your lund, nice boat.

Downsize that white spin dr on your rod, and shorten the lead from spinny to fly.

Try a dipsy, mag out 140 on a 2.5 setting. Fishing saturday was slower than preferred but fish were being taken still in 80 to 100 fow. Sunday, fishing was slower as well, but the weeds and fleas made it almost i think possible to keep lines clean long enough to earn a bite. We need a BIG BLOW to balance the waters back out.

Good temp is around 50 foot down.

Nick

We put in at Sampson’s mid morning and trolled for a few hours. Nothing but weeds and flea’s. Ran three Spin docks with flys, a green lake troll with peanut and a spoon up high. Screen looked decent in front of the marina but no action. Anyone do anything this morning? We will be back at it tomorrow. We are the vintage tan/brown Lund.