LOC entry

I sure wish they would offer a entry pass so the boat owner could purchase and anyone on the boat that has a N.Y. fishing licence is covered . 

I had 2 guys that last minute wanted to go but could not because of entry and I did not want to have them go on line and have to pay as they would be my guest and I want to be a good host . Especially the summer Derby . 

They would lose money on some but make up for it,on others . 

I mean , they are supposed to be promoting the fishery ,  and the best way is to get people out there . 

There has to be a way to do this . 

I ask him about this and he said no way would he  encourage someone to fish on the lake alone 

Hence , the one man small boat Derby which hopefully will happen this Sept 

He also said it would cost him money by giving a group rate . 

He might be stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime on that c

7 hours ago, HB2 said:

I ask him about this and he said no way would he  encourage someone to fish on the lake alone 

Hence , the one man small boat Derby which hopefully will happen this Sept 

He also said it would cost him money by giving a group rate . 

He might be stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime on that c

You can sign up prior to 7am the day you fish.  It can be done on any smart phone from the lake!  

• Like 1

I thought the whole idea of the Lake Ontario Counties derbies was to promote the fishery and boost tourism for the area. 

So that means that you would want as many bodies as possible , especially newbies or even non fisherman to be out on that lake . 

I have already had one of my friends get scared away by the entry price . 

A lot of us have our boats in the water and friends / family are in the area for vacation / etc. 

So last minute you say ,hey let's go fishing , it can go 2 ways

Yeah , there is a Derby and everyone on my boat with a fishing licence is entered you might catch  big one and win a

prize !!  .

Or as it is now 

Sorry if you aren't in the Derby , you can't go sorry. But if you go on line you can pay 25$ and be in for the day if it's before 7 am  . Most would say it's not worth it . Or worth the hassle . 

It should be easy . Especially the Summer Derby . 

1 hour ago, HB2 said:

I thought the whole idea of the Lake Ontario Counties derbies was to promote the fishery and boost tourism for the area. 

So that means that you would want as many bodies as possible , especially newbies or even non fisherman to be out on that lake . 

I have already had one of my friends get scared away by the entry price . 

A lot of us have our boats in the water and friends / family are in the area for vacation / etc. 

So last minute you say ,hey let's go fishing , it can go 2 ways

Yeah , there is a Derby and everyone on my boat with a fishing licence is entered you might catch  big one and win a

prize !!  .

Or as it is now 

Sorry if you aren't in the Derby , you can't go sorry. But if you go on line you can pay 25$ and be in for the day if it's before 7 am  . Most would say it's not worth it . Or worth the hassle . 

It should be easy . Especially the Summer Derby . 

The point of the Derby is to put money in Dave Chilson's pocket.  If it was to promote the fishery, you would not cut the Steelhead out of the Spring and Summer and the Lake Trout out of the Fall derby!  We have world class fisheries for Kings, Browns, Steelhead and lake trout and they are not promoted equally at all! 

• Like 1

I coached youth football for years . I had to go to these meetings about how we ran things . They were looking for ways to increase participation . I asked what was the percentage of kids that came back each year . I was told about 90%

I suggested we forgo the 50$ registration fee for new players . They looked at me like I had 2 heads . I told them we make up for it by them still having to do fundraisers and concessions from family at the games , etc . I talked them into it .

Our numbers doubled .And financially we made out well . And the feeder program for high school was,doing it's job . 

Point being , this could work and he could maybe make,more money long term . 

BUT...... you have to have vision . 

I can understand the elimination of some categories to keep the payout / entry fee balance . 

And I'm willing to pay . Just make it easier . 

19 minutes ago, HB2 said:

I coached youth football for years . I had to go to these meetings about how we ran things . They were looking for ways to increase participation . I asked what was the percentage of kids that came back each year . I was told about 90%

I suggested we forgo the 50$ registration fee for new players . They looked at me like I had 2 heads . I told them we make up for it by them still having to do fundraisers and concessions from family at the games , etc . I talked them into it .

Our numbers doubled .And financially we made out well . And the feeder program for high school was,doing it's job . 

I can understand the elimination of some categories to keep the payout / entry fee balance . 

What would you be willing to pay for a pass to cover everyone for the derby?  Just curious....certainly there would be more people fishing it in that case....

15 minutes ago, AnglingAddict said:

What would you be willing to pay for a pass to cover everyone for the derby?  Just curious....certainly there would be more people fishing it in that case....

The GOSD derby in Canada has a $300 family pass and people pay it.  Although, their payouts are way better than the LOC!  A boat pass would have to be limited to so many people and they would have to have their names at the time the boat was registered or less people registering for the derby.  I have a lot of different guys fish my boat over the season.  If I could buy a boat pass, a lot less people would have to spend the money to sign up to fish on my boat. 

41 minutes ago, HB2 said:

The division changes were mostly to add a walleye division (spring and summer Steelhead were removed and replaced with walleye).  The laker division was taken out because a FEW guys were in Daves ear complaining about lakers and wanting more money in the salmon division. ( look back in the forum and you will find a poll showing roughly %90 were against the changes taking the laker division out).  They didn't eliminate that divisions to keep the payout / entry fee balance.  The eliminated divisions to appease a few and try to draw more people.  I know a lot more people that do not fish the LOC because of the divisional changes in the Fall and now the summer derbies. 

I really don't care about the changes . To me it's kind of irrelevant . Would like to see the rainbows back but I can live with what we have now . 

This is the Derby that we have to fish other than getting into some of the tournaments , which I'm not going to do. 

I know the guy wants to make money and I don't blame him for that . I'm sure it's a lot of time and effort to put these things on . 

I think 200$ for a rec boat would be fair for a summer pass . Covers 4 full time guys and 40$ for hop ons which most likely would only go one time . 

And I'm talking last minute guys to hop on . Not register in the morning . Just hop on and go . You are on my boat , you are covered . Maybe take a pic of his licence and text it to registration before you leave the dock . Some boats might make out but some wouldn't . But who cares , he has 200$,. 

I watch boats go up and down the creek all the time and most have,2 or three guys . 

And how does this work ? I   thought the counties took it over from ESLO  way back when things got bad to keep it going . Do they kick in to promote this and Chillson runs it  or what ? 

Edited by HB2

12 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

The point of the Derby is to put money in Dave Chilson's pocket.  If it was to promote the fishery, you would not cut the Steelhead out of the Spring and Summer and the Lake Trout out of the Fall derby!  We have world class fisheries for Kings, Browns, Steelhead and lake trout and they are not promoted equally at all! 

i no longer push my clients to get into the derby because of the removal of the steelhead division.

• Like 1