Adding another line? Dipsy the way to go?

The old man and I finally pulled the trigger and got a bigger fishing boat. It's a Thunder Jet 18'5 Explorer. https://www.thunderjet.com/boat/185-explorer/ It's not a huge boat but it's got a 96" beam.

We've always fished out of a small bass boat with 2 downriggers, just the 2 lines. New boat is already rigged up with Canon Mag 10s. What should we be adding for another line or two? I've heard so much about dipsy divers but never really tried them or seen them in practice. Any help is appreciated. Can't wait to get out on the lake and spend some time with my father.

Thanks a lot

The old man and I finally pulled the trigger and got a bigger fishing boat. It's a Thunder Jet 18'5 Explorer. https://www.thunderjet.com/boat/185-explorer/ It's not a huge boat but it's got a 96" beam.

We've always fished out of a small bass boat with 2 downriggers, just the 2 lines. New boat is already rigged up with Canon Mag 10s. What should we be adding for another line or two? I've heard so much about dipsy divers but never really tried them or seen them in practice. Any help is appreciated. Can't wait to get out on the lake and spend some time with my father.

Thanks a lot

If salmon and trout are your target then I highly recommend a couple wire line Dipsy divers. I know there are plenty of walleye fisherman who use them too but in my opinion they are a must have.

Everyone has preferences on brands but I like my Okuma Cold Water reels. Seems to hold up well for us.

Congratulations on the new boat and good luck on the water!!

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Dipseys are probably the best choice in my opinion you could ever make run them with steel line if u are big into king fishing whatever you caught before should double running dipseys with your riggers. In my boat fishing Kings 7 out 10 hits let’s say come on dipseys....definitely when it gets closer to staging time End of July first part of august on and until u get good with them you may have few frustrating days but all in all great idea

4 minutes ago, ryanrobb52 said:

If salmon and trout are your target then I highly recommend a couple wire line Dipsy divers. I know there are plenty of walleye fisherman who use them too but in my opinion they are a must have.

Everyone has preferences on brands but I like my Okuma Cold Water reels. Seems to hold up well for us.

Congratulations on the new boat and good luck on the water!!

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I agree the cold water series reels are definitely most bang for your buck they are good quality all around reel.... but im huge fan of shimano Takota 800 for divers but there pricey but probably the best drag and retriever ratio when fighting a fish there is I picked one up a year or so when I could afford it lol and definitely best thing I ever did but if u are only fishing for kings couple times a year probably not worth it good luck with new boat and don’t catch em all !

Dipseys are the way to go for your next lines imo. Agree with all above. No brained. My only advice is spend the extra money and get a decent rod (rod with twili tip is fine. Do not need roller) if using wire and a good reel. These rigs will take a pounding on hits and will get a lot of hits. Quality drags are a must. I also prefer wire for my dipseys but that’s just me Good luck. You will not regret it

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

PS. Once you experience a wire dipsey king strike you are smoked. You will be addicted if you already aren’t. Don’t set the hook. Just hold on

5 minutes ago, Pa223 said:

Dipseys are the way to go for your next lines imo. Agree with all above. No brained. My only advice is spend the extra money and get a decent rod (rod with twili tip is fine. Do not need roller) if using wire and a good reel. These rigs will take a pounding on hits and will get a lot of hits. Quality drags are a must. I also prefer wire for my dipseys but that’s just me Good luck. You will not regret it

I agree 100% u cheap out on the rod and u might as well throw it in the lake I’m also not a fan of roller guides well good luck and u will greatly appreciate!!! your dipsy set up once u start using them

Thank you everyone for the responses. I had a feeling dispeys were the way to go but you all confirmed it. So thanks for that.

Now, how do I know which specific gear to use? I know everyone has different preferences and setups, but I'm like a caveman when it comes to this stuff.

Okuma reel is a good place to start. What about a pole? Which brand of line? What kind of leader? Which dipsy plate? Too many questions...

Is there a resource for all of this?

I have shimano talora and okuma rods like them both. My buddy is using blood run wire and when I need to re spool it's going on my reels.

Currently using chinook divers. Also use luhr Jenson divers, chinooks come in a lot easier. 

Yes fat Nancy or another tackle shop around the lake whatever one u prefer they will have it all mason trolling wire is good size one or mag dipsy if u are fishing for salmon work best your wire will hook right too the dipsy with swivel then a snubber comes off other side of the dipsy then your leader flo carbon pretty hefty whatever u prefer again but needs to be able to take a snap and a half then whatever you are running for a bait ff sd spoon ext... I have 10’ ugly sticks had them for years with twilli tips u will also figure out longer leader u run to your bait more strikes u will take note though harder to net because u can only reel line until dipsy touches rod tip

Ya your there but I would definitely make sure u get a 10’ rod and if you aren’t familiar with putting your tips on they can do it for u at the tackle shop not much to it but ...may just be easier for u and I say 10’ rod Because being in a small boat it will keep them out away from your other gear unless u are just going to run down the chute with one

Make sure you have a decent rod holder for the diver rods too. That looks like a nice boat so I am sure it has a nice rod holder set-up. Divers pull hard so make sure the rod holder is built for it. 

I have been running a mag sized slide diver on one of my wire diver rods and like that one a lot as well. 

Don't forget about the rod holders for your new diver rods! Important and expensive decisions to be made on rod holders. On my boat I have 4ft of Traxtech track on each gunnel. That track has my outdown riggers mounted  to it plus 4 adjustable traxtech rod holders. Besides running a diver rod from one of the holders on each side the other holders are used for board rods or sometimes we'll run 2 diver rods on each side..Agree with above. Don't go cheap on the diver rods or reels, there gonna get alot of work.Mason or Bloodrun 7 strand is definitely the way to  go. Many days divers catch more then 1/2 our days catch. Nothing like a big King smashing a wire diver rod !!

There is a learning curve with wire line . 

It curls and can kink which will weaken it dramatically and that section has to be cut out . If you don't , kiss your dipsey and what you have on it goodbye . Don't ask me how I know . 

I i have 4 dipsey setups . I run one wire and one with 65 braid . I catch just as many on the braid as I do  the wire . 

To start I would get a braid setup to get use to fishing with it because there  some serious pressure on the rod . And Its tricky getting the right release tension and to deploy it . 

And yes , they can be lights out some days . 

Yes fat Nancy or another tackle shop around the lake whatever one u prefer they will have it all mason trolling wire is good size one or mag dipsy if u are fishing for salmon work best your wire will hook right too the dipsy with swivel then a snubber comes off other side of the dipsy then your leader flo carbon pretty hefty whatever u prefer again but needs to be able to take a snap and a half then whatever you are running for a bait ff sd spoon ext... I have 10’ ugly sticks had them for years with twilli tips u will also figure out longer leader u run to your bait more strikes u will take note though harder to net because u can only reel line until dipsy touches rod tip

Logger Gen- do you go with longer leaders and then hand line at the end to the net? I go 8-10’ just due to that reason. Very interesting

Okay so another question. If I am using dispeys basically for the first time am I okay to go with a wire setup? What about braided or copper? What is the difference and what should I be using as a first timer?

What type of dispy plate brand do you recommend? Luhr Jensen? Does it matter which size plate?

Is there a chart I can use to know how far to set it out? So many variables, so many questions. This stuff is tough.

Thank you all again.

Okay so another question. If I am using dispeys basically for the first time am I okay to go with a wire setup? What about braided or copper? What is the difference and what should I be using as a first timer?

What type of dispy plate brand do you recommend? Luhr Jensen? Does it matter which size plate?

Is there a chart I can use to know how far to set it out? So many variables, so many questions. This stuff is tough.

Thank you all again.

If I were you I’d start with wire. Braid sucks during flea season. Copper isn’t made for divers!!! As far as divers look into chinook divers made in Rochester. Super nice people to deal with and a great quality product. They come with a chart. We use the biggest ones for salmon.

On 7/7/2020 at 9:15 AM, Pa223 said:

Logger Gen- do you go with longer leaders and then hand line at the end to the net? I go 8-10’ just due to that reason. Very interesting

Yes with longer leads you have to hand line them in the rest of the way but u will take a lot more strikes with the longer leads just kinda a pain in the ass but definitely works

1 hour ago, Logger Gen II said:

Yes with longer leads you have to hand line them in the rest of the way but u will take a lot more strikes with the longer leads just kinda a pain in the ass but definitely works

Dumb question but how do you hand line them in without the line breaking?

One last question and I think that's it!

My father has a rod holder that looks like this. It hooks up the rail of the boat. The rails on the boat are welded aluminum, but I have doubts about whether these holders are really the right thing for dipseys. Couldn't the boat just vibrate your screws loose and throw your whole setup into the drink?

So I have to ask - do you think these holders would work?

Thanks

81A541bcdwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

7 hours ago, Garyf said:

Dumb question but how do you hand line them in without the line breaking?

Same way you would land a big pike ice fishing let it run out of your hand and then person with the pole starts fighting it again 9 out of 10 times By the time you start to hand line the are tired enough to net