Adding another line? Dipsy the way to go?

6 hours ago, Garyf said:

One last question and I think that's it!

My father has a rod holder that looks like this. It hooks up the rail of the boat. The rails on the boat are welded aluminum, but I have doubts about whether these holders are really the right thing for dipseys. Couldn't the boat just vibrate your screws loose and throw your whole setup into the drink?

So I have to ask - do you think these holders would work?

Thanks

81A541bcdwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I would get beet custom tackle holders that are adjustable and mount to you gunnel if u can 

9 hours ago, Garyf said:

One last question and I think that's it!

My father has a rod holder that looks like this. It hooks up the rail of the boat. The rails on the boat are welded aluminum, but I have doubts about whether these holders are really the right thing for dipseys. Couldn't the boat just vibrate your screws loose and throw your whole setup into the drink?

So I have to ask - do you think these holders would work?

Thanks

81A541bcdwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I probably wouldn’t use those not saying they won’t work but get best u can afford once u see the beating those things take you will know why 

In addition to the pounding they take, you will be surprised how hard they are to get out of the holder when a nasty king is on the other end. In particular if you have people with you that aren’t used to it. Lots of ratcheting holder options that are sweet for this application out there. We use big jobs heavy duty ratcheting and they are fantastic. As others have said though, get the most heavy duty you can afford and secure on your boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• 2 weeks later...

The black chinook #5's are the bomb...pull great,  basically 2-1 ratio on #2 wire around 2.5, rarely have a false release once dialed in...couple dollars more than others but who said fishing is cheap.

IMHO..If you can afford, I also agree with another response about the talora rods....the parabolic action make fighting these big guys easier.  I run the 8' med/heavy as inside divers and won't go back to the cheaper rods...unless you are bringing young muscle after a couple wire fish.

Following up...put out a dipsy rod for the first time and as I was deploying hooked up with a 19 lb king. Wonderful fight.

For anyone who might be interested in getting a dipsy rod/reel setup check out these guys. They hooked me up with everything, blood run wire pre spooled, I caught fish immediately. They also offered to upgrade the drag in the Fall by sending it in to the manufacturer.

https://capt-chuck.com/

I'm running Chinook divers also. The owner John Sykes is a great guy and stayed on the phone with me for 20 minutes to answer questions (first timer).

43 minutes ago, Garyf said:

Following up...put out a dipsy rod for the first time and as I was deploying hooked up with a 19 lb king. Wonderful fight.

For anyone who might be interested in getting a dipsy rod/reel setup check out these guys. They hooked me up with everything, blood run wire pre spooled, I caught fish immediately. They also offered to upgrade the drag in the Fall by sending it in to the manufacturer.

https://capt-chuck.com/

I'm running Chinook divers also. The owner John Sykes is a great guy and stayed on the phone with me for 20 minutes to answer questions (first timer).

Thats where I got my Tekotas from as well - good people.

• 2 weeks later...

You can't beat Captain Chuck's for prespooled reels. All of the prespooled reels already have the upgraded drags too.
I'm partial to the okuma convectors.
Price the reels, drags and wire seperatly...
You can't beat their price for what you get.
Drags on dipsy rods earn their pay. Really sucks to lose a quality fish to a bad drag....

Sent from my moto x4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app