Need help identifying model of cannon downriggers

IMG_2304.JPGIMG_2304.JPG

Got these downriggers from a friend last year without a manual. Not sure if the model of the one is a digitroll II or if that’s just the control panel. Also wondering what size weights they can handle, currently running 10 pounds but would like to go heavier. TIA

It looks like converted older Mag 10 with a Digitroll board because the Digitroll II's were all black I believe and they have a Digitroll insignia on upper part at the base of the arm of the boom. The older Mag 10's and 10A's had the lighter duty motor which maxed at 10 lbs.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

It looks like converted older Mag 10 with a Digitroll board because the Digitroll II's were all black I believe and they have a Digitroll insignia on upper part at the base of the arm of the boom. The older Mag 10's and 10A's had the lighter duty motor which maxed at 10 lbs.

Thank you

Digitrol 2 which shared many parts (including motors) as Mag 10a.  Both models from mid 1980’s and was common for the Digitrol 2 to be converted to Mag 10a when keypad failed.  Parts availability limited.  The “Marlin” versions that I had were a camo cable in lieu of a silver cable.  Interesting with Cannon that the Mag 10a model was produced before the Mag 10.  Were a solid rigger in their day- still common to see them-slow retrieve likely helped them last.

• Like 1

Digitrol 2 which shared many parts (including motors) as Mag 10a.  Both models from mid 1980’s and was common for the Digitrol 2 to be converted to Mag 10a when keypad failed.  Parts availability limited.  The “Marlin” versions that I had were a camo cable in lieu of a silver cable.  Interesting with Cannon that the Mag 10a model was produced before the Mag 10.  Were a solid rigger in their day- still common to see them-slow retrieve likely helped them last.

Definitely a slow retrieve, but run good and no issues with them

I still use 2 10A's and have a Digitroll 2 as well. The slow retrieve can be a plus... I re-rig things when the ten pound shark weight is on way up.. I have used the faster new riggers on other people's boats and I don't care for them. If you keep the water out of them, adhere to the 10 lb weight max, and treat them with care (all mine have the covers when not in use) they will hold up fine. I've had mine since 1985 and the only thing I have done is replace the power cords with the new ones which are a real improvement. The older ones often crack and can short out  so it is worth the money to get the new ones. They may or may not have auto stop of the weight so if not just adjust the drag so that it is tight but not 100 percent tight and the weight will slip (and make a noise) when it gets to the top. It is also a good idea in case of hanging up on bottom:smile:

I believe the camo coating on the Marlins was supposed to protect against the salt water environment at least that is what was advertised at the time.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

I still use 2 10A's and have a Digitroll 2 as well. The slow retrieve can be a plus... I re-rig things when the ten pound shark weight is on way up.. I have used the faster new riggers on other people's boats and I don't care for them. If you keep the water out of them, adhere to the 10 lb weight max, and treat them with care (all mine have the covers when not in use) they will hold up fine. I've had mine since 1985 and the only thing I have done is replace the power cords with the new ones which are a real improvement. The older ones often crack and can short out  so it is worth the money to get the new ones. They may or may not have auto stop of the weight so if not just adjust the drag so that it is tight but not 100 percent tight and the weight will slip (and make a noise) when it gets to the top. It is also a good idea in case of hanging up on bottom:smile:

I believe the camo coating on the Marlins was supposed to protect against the salt water environment at least that is what was advertised at the time.

Do you happen to know if they make dual rod holders for them?

The camo cable was supposed to blend into the environment better than the flashy silver cable commonly used on riggers then.  I don’t remember if the camo was coated to add life in saltwater.  As far as dual rod holders I think you would have to find used ones.  Current models mount differently.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2020 at 6:17 PM, Bnovoa3620 said:

Do you happen to know if they make dual rod holders for them?

fish 307 has them can either be boom mounted or they sell a spud that goes in the rear holder to attach the duals too.