Quick question on leadcore

So I have a 5 color leadcore rod setup with 150yards of 30lb mono backing. Now I get that its 6-6.5ft of depth per color stated on the sheet for the line but do you get extra depth by letting the lead out further with the backing? Is there a graph or any info on this? Thanks!

Its 5ft per color at 2 mph, at 2.5 mph its more like 3 or 3.5 ft per color. You may gain a little bit of depth with more line out but with 30 lb mono it wont be much due to the drag of the thicker mono. If your backing was braid you might gain a little more.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Its 5ft per color at 2 mph, at 2.5 mph its more like 3 or 3.5 ft per color. You may gain a little bit of depth with more line out but with 30 lb mono it wont be much due to the drag of the thicker mono. If your backing was braid you might gain a little more.

So this isnt true? It says 6-6.5 ft. I am new to leadcore so just going by what I have found online.Screenshot_20200708-105422_Chrome.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

IMO leadcore due to all the variables from speed, currents, different backing and lure choices is likely to run shallower than “advertised”.  I use 5’ per color as a general rule and shade towards the shallow side.  For example I figure my 10 colors run closer to 45’ than 50’.  The bottom line is leadcore catches fish even though it likely is running shallower than one might think.  Letting out more backing isn’t going to greatly effect depth either as other factors especially speed limit depth.

• Like 1

I think Mr 580 is right on the mark. Again, speed is a critical factor and depending on lure especially after a cerain point the line bows upward with a belly in it. It is thought to be the swaying action of the leadcore in the water that attracts fish and they will come both vertically and horizontally to check it out and as it is some distance from the boat they may not appear on the fish finder either.

Edited by Sk8man

I'm running Tuf-Line Microlead and have checked it with my Fishhawk TD.  At 2.5mph it sinks 5' per color, or 25' for 5 colors.  I haven't checked any other speeds, though.

I have 12 different leadcore setups, all with tuffline micro lead that I use for walleye. I originally tried it because of the claimed deeper depth and mainly because I can fit 10 colors on a 30 size reel. I tested it out on a flat lake and found that I was getting 5 ft per color at 2mph, not the advertised depth of 6.5+. I have regularly hit bottom in 50ft with 10 colors out. Like everyone else stated it is very speed dependent, slow down and it goes deeper.

Needless to say, I am very happy with the tufline micro and have no need to try anything else.

If I can offer some input. As others have said, speed is important ... doesn't take much more or less to dramatically impact the depth. Second is your terminal tackle. If you're pulling a big paddle, it's going to create more drag and lift the line up.

I suggest putting braid on as backing .... first of all it doesn't create as much drag in the water as mono will, and you will be able to get WAY more backing on that reel ... 150 yards is NOTHING. A 25 lb king will take all of that plus some.

Second thing it allows you to do is attach a torpedo weight right after you let out all the leadcore ... attach that after about 5 ft of braid, and THEN you will get the extra depth you are looking for!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Ive run the suffix advanced for two years now.  I touched down in 45’ last year with a #9 shad rap on a 5 color going 1.8....was pretty impressed with that.  Gotta use a uni knot to connect though the sheath is very thin and u can’t use a Willis knot.  Fits on my 200 size convectors so that’s why I went with the small diameter/high sink rate.

Had a teener sheepie eat a crankbait and pull my board under and everything held.  Pretty happy with it, this year I’m gonna try out the 12lb....even smaller diameter.

I prefer to run heavier lead core so I use 27lb Tufline Microlead for 10 colors and 27lb Stealth Core for all my shorter cores.  Suffix 832 only offered in 18lb.  I’ve run some 18lb years ago and didn’t seem to get down or catch as many fish for me so I stick with heavier weight rating.

• Like 1

glad you've had good luck with the suffix.  I think my narrow reels contributed to me having issues.  I found that a uni vs. willis made the line more prone to build up twists in that spot as well 

580 how do you find the microlead handles compared to the stealth core?  Can you do a willis knot to your leaders?   I can see why the 30% smaller diameter would be helpful on the 10 cores.  what size reels do you use for your 10 colors?  thank you sir!

I’m not able to do a Willis with the Tufline Microlead.  I use black to back uniknot. I’m using Saltist 50’s on my 10 colors as I like the high speed.  Using the Tufline Microlead gives me more backer on the 50’s.  The Stealth core works good with Willis which I prefer on my other lead core rods.  I have been running these combinations a few years.

• Like 1

Lead core line wastes a lot of fishing time reeling all them colors.  Just a simple sinker snap locked or rubber banded to your line catches fish also. A sinker attached at 6 to 8 foot above your lure will allow you to net the fish quickly. Most important is the use of side planers where your sweeping area is spread away from your boat as it passes over the fish even in deep waters. The spooked fish move off to the side of your boat where your side planers have your lures.

Stealth can matter a little bit too when the sun gets high and a lot of boat traffic gets on the water.  Having a little more line in the water isn’t necessarily a bad thing.  I find that some of those bluebird days around 10 am ish my leadcore lines start out producing my shorter snap weighted lines.  Strictly talking about walleye fishing here.

FYI.... you can Albright knot any of the lead core lines and if tied properly, it will NEVER let go.  The knot is a little larger since the lead core is doubled over, but I have never had one fail in 40 years of fishing.  FYI...it's rather easy to tie once you have done it several times.

FYI.... you can Albright knot any of the lead core lines and if tied properly, it will NEVER let go.  The knot is a little larger since the lead core is doubled over, but I have never had one fail in 40 years of fishing.  FYI...it's rather easy to tie once you have done it several times.

When I do a double uni with the lead core sheath, i find that area turns into a huge mess
a tangle as it twists very easily and retains a lot of memory. Maybe and Albright would be better even though the knot catching on the guides might get annoying

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app