Weekend Forecast

Current forecast for the south shore of Ontario. 6/11 & 6/12. Waves 1' - 3' building to 3' - 5' and occasional 6' with scattered thunderstorms. Looks like I may be hitting Canandaigua Lake this weekend.  

Never trust a wind forecast more than a day in advance. Forecast has changed 3 times already. 5-10 mph from the west currently all weekend.  Could change again by tonight. Usually when storm cells are coming through like they are this weekend you will get cells or short periods of wind as the storm moves through so still need to be careful. Predicting wind when a front is moving in can be tricky. Can’t tell you how  many times I’ve been burned by trusting a wind forecast. 

• Like 1

Never trust a wind forecast more than a day in advance. Forecast has changed 3 times already. 5-10 mph from the west currently all weekend.  Could change again by tonight. Usually when storm cells are coming through like they are this weekend you will get cells or short periods of wind as the storm moves through so still need to be careful. Predicting wind when a front is moving in can be tricky. Can’t tell you how  many times I’ve been burned by trusting a wind forecast. 

And always add 1 foot to wave height forecast. If it says 1-3. It will undoubtedly be 2-4

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I agree, but’s it’s tough for anyone traveling any distance

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Warm summer waters create their own weather off shore when a cold from passes. Those TV weather people have no idea what goes on offshore . I always add 5 to 10 mph to their on shore forecasts. After seventy years fishing I might know something.

• Like 1

Warm summer waters create their own weather off shore when a cold from passes. Those TV weather people have no idea what goes on offshore . I always add 5 to 10 mph to their on shore forecasts. After seventy years fishing I might know something.

And I always add 1 ft to wave predictions if they are calling for 1-3. You can bet on 2-4. Would like a dollar for every time I’ve seen the forecast and gotten to the lake to find a maelstrom. Oh well. Go to breakfast. Lol

6 minutes ago, chinook35 said:

And I always add 1 ft to wave predictions if they are calling for 1-3. You can bet on 2-4. Would like a dollar for every time I’ve seen the forecast and gotten to the lake to find a maelstrom. Oh well. Go to breakfast. Lol

I typically won’t go out if it says 1-3’, I run a 19’ aluminum. It’s basically gotta be flat for me to fish lol