Emergencies on the finger lakes?

Any one know if any emergency authorities monitor ship to shore freqs on the finger lakes?? Just wondered, if the few of us that get out on these lakes early season would have a chance if some thing really bad happened to one of our boats, and needed rescuing. Hope to god it never happens but would like to know??

ive tried "radio check " the Coast Guard at severn and the south end several times over the past few years ,using proper radio procedure for that reason and they never have responded so a cell phone may be your only"lifeline" on seneca lake ,local sherrif,fire station, might be good numbers to have programed in and the obvios 911 is always there too.BUT to my knowalge no sherrif or fire dept has a boat on standby so your pretty much on your own in the winter ,as most boats out this time of year are smaller and have no radio ,dont rely too much on them hearing you .

I know Tompkins County used monitor nav channels but since the upgrade to the 800mhz system I would doubt they still do. Like Ray said - your best bet is cell phone & 911.

Chances are a distress call would be received somewhere but most ship to shore radios on the finger lakes aren't powerful enough to receive any return transmission. I did read or hear something about the distance a distress call can be received by a CG station is pretty amazing but on an inland lake you're on your own for quite a while :o:(

DAN

Well thats good to know...I guess :( I am not worried about my craft or any thing like that just wondered. This time of year I think it's smart for any boater to keep there speeds way down, never know when you might hit a floating piece of ice, log, dock, ect...I figure might as well troll to where you really want to go this time of year and not risk ripping the transom off your boat at 40 mph. Hey can't catch them at 40mph but sure can at 2.5 mph. Didn't Ray K hit something in the spring and need a lower unit once?? TD

I broke down on Seneca a few times and the DISTRESS FLAG was better than the radio. At least someone from shore should/could see that. The cell phone is the best thing to have but just in case that's dead or you for got it that flag would be the first thing I put out !!!

Ontario County Sheriff (Canandaigua, Honeoye, Hemlock, Canadice, North end of Seneca lakes) does not monitor vhf frequencies. The patrol boats are equipped with vhf radios and can be used, but are usually not monitored. Boats are dispatched through the 911 center, so the fastest way to get help is to call 911. Even if you cant talk, if you have a newer cell phone they can get help directly to you through the gps on the phone. There is always a boat on standby on Canandaigua lake, the biggest delay in getting to you is calling out MRV deputies to get to the patrol boat. The other smaller lakes will take longer to get a boat to.....