Seneca (rumor)greenridge power plant got approved

On 3/24/2021 at 5:52 PM, Roys Boys said:

Me and 2 other guys helped a guy install 2 million dollars worth of machines in a ware house in Geneva about 7 years ago took us about a week once they were all connected and running good the guy in charge said thanks here’s you pay and moved out to Washington to expand with his investor from Japan. once they’re in and running no ones involved unless one has a error then you go in and spend 5 minutes to switch it out

Nice - at least they give you an unlimited supply of warm water  :-(

This is the latest that The Seneca Lake Guardian posted yesterday...

THE #FLX OF NEW YORK NEEDS YOU:
Please support our opposition to Greenidge Bitcoin operations on Seneca Lake.
The concerns are far ranging not just for anyone who shares Seneca Lake waters, but for the climate which every living being depends on for survival.
This facility has been greenlighted by DEC and is in the small hands of the Town of Torrey Planning Board who is slated to vote to approve expansion of this facility on April 26th.
Our sense of urgency is great. This facility is permitted to increase its Bitcoin mining operations from 7,900 machines to 30,000. Just with the machines they have now, air emissions increased ten-fold.
They're permitted to withdraw 139,000,000 gallons of lake water every day. That's the equivalent of all the water in Conesus Lake, or a water truck parade (with each truck carrying 5,000 gallons) 102 miles long (wrapped nearly two times around Seneca Lake).
They can discharge up to 132 million gallons of water at temperatures of up to 108 degrees into the trout stream feeding into Seneca. Trout are stressed at temperatures above 70 degrees.
This is an area already identified as a hotspot for Harmful Algal Blooms- a toxin to both pets and people. Adding warm water will increase incidences of HABs.
The machines are fully automated, so it won't bring in a lot of jobs. But it will hurt the 58,000 jobs and the $3 Billion agri-tourism economy.
Bitcoin mining is said to require as much energy as some entire countries. Parts of China are banning Bitcoin because it's so energy intensive. And in the midst of the global climate crisis, burning more fossil fuels to make fake money is insane.
There is no regulation of Bitcoin, and it completely evades the state's Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act (CLCPA) by operating behind the meter and thereby not providing energy to the grid.
Call #Cuomo and ask him to intervene: request that his DEC require a full Environmental Impact Statement on the Greenidge facility and require an adjudicatory hearing on all of the issues. More communities are next, as Greenidge has announced its plan to expand into other locations in NY.
Call your state and federal representatives and ask them to regulate bitcoin.

1 hour ago, jerktroller said:

Conesus Lake actually contains 139 billion gallons of water not million. I’m not saying there isn’t room for improvement with that plant but these groups make over the top claims and lose credibility. 

Yeah, I don't know how they got that number.  And not sure how you got your number either.  It's actually 43 billion gallons.  I sent them a comment about their incorrect Conesus volume.  Thanks for pointing it out.

Edited by cinnamon fish

Made up info and bs claims are a tactic used by all sides skateman made a great point about the sewage discharges those in combination with hot water are truly dangerous getting that situation fixed should be a top priority regardless of the rest of it. As for the plant running it is still a complicated mix of pros and cons

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I don't much about bitcoin mining. The ideal of pulling that much water from the lake and then hot water discharged back sounds alarming.

The old power plant help me make a pay check for 15 years . I delivered compress gases and liquid dewars to the plant ever week . Tons of nitrogen for the old Transformers Outback.

The plant had holding ponds on the property. I thought they use that for the water discharge before going back to the lake but not sure . I'm curious to know what the water temperature would be out of nuke plant discharge on Lake Ontario is it over a hundred degrees.

I'm for the Environmental Protection of seneca lake . this plant is not a good ideal I feel .

Sent from my SM-A102U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

IMG_3779.JPGIMG_3779.JPG
For anyone interested in taking action against the issue, there is a chance to stop the expansion of the Bitcoin project, this Monday at 7pm at the Torrey town hall they are deciding wether this expansion will take place or not. Although a presence at the meeting would be great there are many other ways to help. Spreading awareness through contacting the Torrey planning board before the meeting to discuss the harm that the mining will cause on the local environment. ([email protected])

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

your state don't have any bodies of water to fish. LOL. look on your state map. up north on Lake Erie you have north east, 30 miles west, you have the marinas off Erie, go another 30 miles west you have Walnut Creek and go another 15 miles you have nice launch ramps  area on the Ohio PA border. lets go south now. south west area of your state you have two nice reservoirs with very good crappie fishing,  along with some walleye fishing. I know you have more reservoirs in your state too. 3 more just south of corning NY. you also have the allegany also for walleye and some crappie.  LOL. you come to the finger lakes because you want to fish. we have cleaner water. LOL. Dude get off the computer and discover your state a little. you have a lot down there. LOL

Well I live in northeast pa. I fish the fingers because it’s 1 1/2 hours away. Most of the places you mentioned are 4-6 hours from me. So your statement is kind of ridiculous. Also, most are warm water fisheries. Kinda limited if you like trout and salmon fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

My question would be why Seneca?  We have vacant power plants at Dunkirk and Somerset that could much better handle warm water discharges. 

Edited by Gill-T

Not sure why Seneca. It might have something to do with the distribution of electric power. Lots of local power plants often means a more stable electricity supply. That comes, of course, at an environmental cost.

I live on Cayuga Lake and can see the inactivated Milliken power plant from my house. It had been coal-fueled. When the power company proposed running gas lines to the plant as fuel, Lansing activists protested and so that plant sits idle as well. When an investor proposed the plant be used as a data center, locals refused that as well. So Milliken is another vacant power plant with lots of electric lines connected to it.

Maybe with the price of copper increasing so much, someone can at least sell Milliken assets for scrap metal.

• Like 1

I dunno, warm water discharges in cold climates[like ours!] usually help and not hurt the fishing, no matter where they are placed.. Personally I think algae blooms we are seeing more and more of are not caused by too much  warm water,, They are caused by too much **** dumped into the lakes..  Houses with their septic systems, lawn fertilizer, dogs, cats etc, and farms  are engulfing the Finger Lakes... Too many people living on the lakes, too many massive farms with millions of tons of ****, organic debris  and fertilizer going in... It will never stop either because people paid big money for these "rights"  .. To use the lakes as they see fit....to live on and  work the  surrounding land etc.. NY is making big money from these lakes... Do you REALLY think they care if the fishing suffers???? please..... bob

The outflow is bad, but the intake is worse. Millions of fry are sucked into the intake and are ground up in the pumps and whatever survived gets killed by the temperature of the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• 1 month later...

Basically a pyramid scam and i'd hate to be the last ones in it.  Just a matter of time before it blows up as there is no real product just a consensus based on belief.....always dangerous when money is involved. I hope they self-destruct before the lake is totalled.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 2