Broken Cannon Downrigger

So yesterday I almost lost my Cannon STX 10 rigger. The bottom of the actual downrigger itself broke. This is the fifth year of them on my boat. There's always been some bounce being that it's an aluminum boat Etc. The downrigger is in a track with a riser. Any suggestions on ensuring this never happens again would be great. The power cord kept the downrigger from being lost forever. But I did lose a brand new rod and a Daiwa saltist reel.20200709_134911.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

when you run do you leave the ball on the hook or take off also do you leave them on the rail when trailering. no judging just curious why some are failing. the other guy that posted his base broke got me wondering the same. glad you were able to save it easier to send back for warranty. sucks about the rod though.

I almost lost a Mag 10 a couple of years ago when the swivel base broke all apart. It happened as I was lowering the ball down so I was right there to catch it before it went out the back. Almost lost a rod that was in the holder too. After inspecting my other swivel bases there were cracks in them too in the corners where the bolts are. I bought a pair of S.S. swivel bases from this site to fix that problem and put two newer bases on my other two. Good to go now.

Go with Scotty's. I had to many Cannons break.

Seems to be the direction I might head if I have one iotta of an issue with mine. I’m just not a big fan of the lever to let the ball down. Afraid of accidentally hitting it with a net or something. Or am I missing something. Sorry, not to hijack thread. Hope you find what the issue was causing the damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app