Anyone using meat rigs on cayuga?

Hi all,

Maybe a dumb question but is anyone using meat rigs on cayuga? I just got a set up for lake O when I can get up there. I know flasher fly combinations work on the fingers but I wasnt sure on meat. It's not real herring, it's the mc rocket strips. Thanks

Yeah, I'll have to give it a try I guess. Maybe if the weather holds for sunday morning. It's an 11 inch white kingfisher glow paddle and white atomik meat rig, so maybe 100' down for big suspended lakers? Or 50' down suspended for landlocks first thing in the morning. Hmm...  I will report back with my testing

• Like 1

I gave it a day 10-15 yrs ago maybe longer.. 11" rotator, twinkie rig. cut bait. No takers.  It may work now , about anything you put down in Cayuga catches fish.. they probably have the herring strips better now. Used to be a pain with the smell and trying to keep it fresh in the boat.. But the big fish hammered it on Ontario. Good luck.

Long ago we used to use a rig called Hemlock spinner. You would get what we called a mooneye bait fish.With the bait whole you had a rod you poked down thru the mouth and out the end . A treble hook on the end with a couple spinners in the front. Trolled very slowly near or at the bottom.   I dont think Ive ever seen it mentioned on this board..  I may still have a rig or maybe they still make them Im not sure. Perhaps Sk8opedia could chime in on this.

6 hours ago, Fishstix said:

Long ago we used to use a rig called Hemlock spinner. You would get what we called a mooneye bait fish.With the bait whole you had a rod you poked down thru the mouth and out the end . A treble hook on the end with a couple spinners in the front. Trolled very slowly near or at the bottom.   I dont think Ive ever seen it mentioned on this board..  I may still have a rig or maybe they still make them Im not sure. Perhaps Sk8opedia could chime in on this.

The Hemlock Spinner was often used as the "2nd line in" by by copper pullers...  

Hemlock spinner.jpg

Have used them for many years both behind attractors (e.g. cowbells) and by themselves from downriggers. Sometimes they work when nothing else produces. Like Mike I also used to run then from Seth Green rigs (5 per rig max of 15 hookpoints) and usually it was the bottom one that caught most of the time for whatever reason. I used shorter leaders than normal with them though (6-8 ft vs 15-24). Close to the weight on the riggers. The treble is split between the hooks so that you can slide the center wire through the mouth of the bait (sawbelly or smelt) and out the anal area and then snap the treble back on the loop on the wire.

Well, I didnt get to experiment with the meat rig this morning. I went out at first light from myers. Within 5 mins somehow I managed to wrap my downrigger line around the prop of my kicker. Then when deploying my wire diver, the wire got pinched in between the spool and side of the reel and got stuck. So I trolled with the main motor and 1 downrigger for a while and called it. Not my morning I guess. I didnt even want to try the meat rig. For my luck this morning it would have broke off or something. O well. Time to fix everything and hit it hard again next weekend.

Fleas were real bad by taughannock

I think we have all had those days and when it happens now like you I opt to call it a day and not push it .....always another day:smile:

Edited by Sk8man