Shore-line Brown Trout fishing

It starts when you can get out! Honestly...and when that period is here, which should be in the next week or two, concentrate on the creek mouths as they are pumping the warmest water into the lake. I run and gun creek mouths from Irondequoit to Bear Creek sometimes hittin up the creek plume. Now you can also troll the shore too, and when you find a concentration keep trolling through them.

Here are some pics of last spring in March and April:

th_0315081641.jpg

img181.jpg

100_0604.jpg

My PIMP pose!

100_0603.jpg

OK...

Great start, great pictures, good to go on locations. Now if you will only give me the keys to the kingdom, I will be all set. What are the hot presentations? Spoons or flies? How far back from the boat? What weight of line do you prefer?

I get the "get out early" and find the warmest water. How late in the spring does the action keep up? Will this work in early May? Middle of May? Is it pretty much panned out by Memorial Day?

I know I am asking a lot, but I am stuck in the sand and don't get paroled...released...I mean I don't re-deploy until May. New boat awaits, but will have to (want to even) spend some time with my wife when I finally get back. Nothing makes the heart grow fonder than a 12 month deployment to the dry and the hot! Still I am crying to get out on the Lake. Plan on taking the wife and hoping she gets hooked as well. We shall see.

I am ready to listen if only the sages will speak!

The second the creeks unfreeze and you can get to them, (like Yankee said) they are there. Concentrate your efforts on the colored water near shore and the warmest water you can find this time of year. Stickbaits, and small spoons off planer boards are great plan of attack. Try to be as stealthy as you can in the shallow water w/ light line and long leads.

Dont worry 10thmtndave those fish will still be in there when you get home. Early in May were still pounding the shoreline for browns but fortunately by the end of the month were offshore alittle fishing for kings.

Hey Everyone, I'm new to the Spring fishing. Tried it 8 -10 times last spring with no success. Hopefully with the info you guys are putting out there i will be able to hook and LAND some browns this year. And I would like to thank 10thMTNDave for his service to this Great country of ours. THANK YOU with all my respect for your service.

Eric

I live right on the shore of Lake Ontario and look forward to every Spring for the Brown trout action.My largest one to date is 8 #s .I have caught a few on body baits but the one lure that seems to trigger the most strikes is the tried and true LITTLE CLEO. I use the lightest line possible and bomb that spoon out as far possible ,I have caught them at the start of the retreive and almost right on the shore . I have heard you can catch Steelies and Kings from the shore in spring to but other than snagging an occasional carp I have not caught anything but Browns.

Do not be afraid to troll rapalas in the brown water. The brown water is on top of the water column and under it is clear water where the fish hide and wait for bait that are congregating in the warmer waters that flow out to the lake from roadside ditches, streams and creeks. A surface temperature gauge reading in the mid 40's is what will tell you where you need to be. Do not longline, use in-line planers or side planers to get the fish that shy away from your boat, but then congregate in groups away from your boats path. Rapalas will float up when you stop or turn so as to avoid snags on the bottom. The best sign is when you catch a fish, turn around and go back, there are more in that area. The best waters for spring browns are inside 15 feet of water.

Now we are talking.

Any other voices to shed a little light on my darkness?

This is awesome, useful, and greatly appreciated information!! A month after redeployment I hope there are a plethora (Ray - that's a "whole bunch") of Browns and even a few Steelies along the Southeastern shore with sore gums and their mug shots on my digital camera.

Here is a Vid of some earlier season action. Notice how shallow.

Try a place just West of Lighthouse Beach. Take State Parkway past Hamlin Parma Townline Road and before Sandy Creek. The stream is called CowSucker Creek. Hit the mouth of that for some serious Brown action.

Can any body dig up Billy V's tips on setting up tackle for these aspiring Brown trout guy's, real detail in that old post, too long to try to encapsulate but real nuts and bolts stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Been out on Mexico bay two times so far and went 10-12 and 9-10 mostly 2-5 # but some over 10#. The hottest lure so far has been the Michigan stinger gobie with copper back in the 2.25" size. I fish it with a small split shot on 10# flourocarbon leader 150-200' behind the boat. Fish near shore 6-12' range, small coves, points, and off the creek mouths. Stained water has been very productive. A lot of my fish have been caught between 2-3 pm when the sun is the highest. Perhaps it warms the shallow water that is trapped in the coves. Some fishermen have taken there limits early am in the stained water, but I practice catch and release most of the time. The fish are there and it appears to be another early season. Don't wait!

Bandit 49 :beer: