Traveled north of the pond from Mexico point, and my god there was a zillion boats there. Worked 120-140, 2/8 with one steelhead and a nice king. White flasher/white meat rig took rips off the rigger Parked at 110. Fleas were atrocious. We handlined both of our fish lol 

*side note- if you run a large boat, good for you. But don’t run it full throttle within 30 yards of me while I’m setting lines. Have some decency, the lake is huge.*

end rant. Some seriously inconsiderate charter captains out there, borderline illegal imo. I get it; time is money, but there were multiple instances where my small boat got pushed around by stupid people. But shout out to the guy in what looked to be a crest liner saber. He was nice. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, GreasyLuck said:

Sadly there are many times I’ve been almost run over by large charters. But thankfully I’ve met many more great and helpful charter captains over the years.

GreasyLuck

I agree. The ones I personally know are great guys but man I was upset at that.

had 2 charter boats set up on either side of me a few days ago and both set 500 copper.  they then began to squeeze me and pin me in until I eventually hooked into one of their coppers with my downrigger.  I came to  a complete stop and pulled up everything just to let them pass.  Luckily I was able to unhook the copper and send it back to its owner.  Move left air horn -move right air horn.  Finally I just went to surrender.  I try to give the charters plenty of room because that is their livelihood. Hope everyone has a great season!

had 2 charter boats set up on either side of me a few days ago and both set 500 copper.  they then began to squeeze me and pin me in until I eventually hooked into one of their coppers with my downrigger.  I came to  a complete stop and pulled up everything just to let them pass.  Luckily I was able to unhook the copper and send it back to its owner.  Move left air horn -move right air horn.  Finally I just went to surrender.  I try to give the charters plenty of room because that is their livelihood. Hope everyone has a great season!

You were very nice. Long lines have no place in traffic. If they lose a few rigs they will get the picture

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
  • Like 1

I saw one of those charters try to go out this morning and he came back in 40 minutes.  ROUGH! All the other charters had cancelled.  I saw one group of guys meet the captain at the dock to be told the bad news..  The waves were crashing over the wall of the Salmon River.

Well all vessels out there should be treating each other with respect some guys just dont get it and think they own the place . The next time hail them on vhf witch they are required by law to monitor at all times and ask them to please maintain a safe distance . If they are abeam of you they are a give way vessel and must give way by law that being said if that does not work pull all your lines set your riggers at 100 feet and wipe out ever line they got that will likely get your point across . I have fished for many years for bluefin out of NEWENGLAND and  you learn to try and be nice first and when that dosnt work stand your ground . GOOD LUCK AND TIGHT LINES !

• Like 1

Sounds like August came early out there. Last year late august I had an issue with A 33ft boat cutting me off and choking me off with his zig zag patterns. After the 3rd time I’ve had enough. Packed up all the rods and hooked his copper with The rigger before I got it up.  Alot of big boats think small boats have to work around them  

17 hours ago, hassellmania said:

thanks for the input everyone.  I go fishing to relax not to be stressed out.  I try to stay away from the PACK as much as possible.

I am with you there! Last trip I did just fine a mile away from what u would consider the pack. Which brings me to the question as to why there always seems to be a pack in certain areas? Must be a consistent area.

Temperature, over the years I have seen that fish tend to hang in certain areas, I us to waypoint in fall sag got time Aug. we’re I have caught fish, as time went on they were in same area sometimes deeper, but they were there. One day I bought a chip for fishing hot spots on Lake Ontario . When I inserted chip the hotspots were circled in certain areas on my gps ,well all of my way points were in the circled area. One of those areas is right out from the dunes 100 ft to 135 out. This just something I ran into.