Downrigger weights

I am looking at getting a new set of riggers, and am wondering what the best weights to use are? With all of the currents, etc I am wondering how some of the weight track thru the water. I have always run the round balls with the fin on the back and have had no issues, but would like to go heavier to a 15 pound ball. Any suggestions/ experiences would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I have weights from bikini bottom and troutman. I believe that the bikini's have less blow back but that could be all in my head. The bikini's were more money but he custom painted them for me. Both men were equally easy to deal with and I recommend them both. Good luck!

3 hours ago, wallysackett said:

I am looking at getting a new set of riggers, and am wondering what the best weights to use are? With all of the currents, etc I am wondering how some of the weight track thru the water. I have always run the round balls with the fin on the back and have had no issues, but would like to go heavier to a 15 pound ball. Any suggestions/ experiences would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Sharks for optimum performance torpedo shape for good performance and a lot less cost.I got some from troutman and they are decent

Always good to support our LOU guys. I have both bikinibottom sharks and Trpoutman87's torpedos and they each do a good job of it. If Harvey has the lead right now I think he makes a 16 lb torpedo. I don't think you'll find any for as reasonable price out there. Both Rich and Harvey are great to deal with.

Any idea how heavy a weight a Penn 620 Fathomaster Manual Rigger w long boom can hold/run? Thinking bout getting some torpedoes from Harvey. Dunno if I need the 16lb or can run them? Or if 12lb is good enough for Ontario? Have the big round Cannons now. Man. 100 feet down off Oswego they were running 20 feet behind me on surface. Who knows how far down.

Thx!

I think the most critical question to ask yourself is: "Do i want to be cranking these 16 lb weights up and down all day? Good way to work out though and end up with one popeye arm :lol: Twelve pound torpedoes should be fine most of the time. If the current is real strong even the 16's will be getting some blowback on Lake O

• Like 1