Hemlock canadice and honeoye pickerel

Big ones? Can't tell you how to target them exclusively, but the south end of canadice is loaded with pickerel. I've caught them on topwater fishing for bass even. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

From what I have read and experienced, they tend to be in the weed beds and in open pockets in weeds. Similar to Largemouth bass. Prety much all the finger lakes have more extensive weed beds at the north and south ends but there can be good weed beds in coves as well. So you can use maps to identify likely locations but if you are restricted to shore fishing you will also be limited by shore access. And I believe wading (and swimming) is not allowed in those lakes without waders.

Edited by muskiedreams

The weedbeds are not against the shore but somewhat out also was wondering if there was a specific area for pickerel going to lodge in a few days and went their friday with a friend in his boat and got 6 lmb and 1 rock bass 1st had giant pickerel bite-mark on him though 

Yea, they are harder to hook because of their bony mouths. If you have a rod that has a lot of bend and stretchy line, and or your hooks are not as sharp as they can be, it is hard to get a good hook set. And of course bite offs can happen without a leader.

I believe there are pickerel in every one of the Finger lakes, and in Silver too. In Seneca, there are all three Esox family members. As well as northern-chain pickerel cross breeds. Most people catch them incidentally while targeting bass as they (smallies and largemouths) are both suckers for the same baits. Best pickerel I've caught was a beautiful 32" 4lber at the south end of Canandaigua while picking up largemouths. After catching bass under and around the docks with 6" black and natural colored plastic worms, we moved out towards the middle of the lake in front of the state launch. Still using a natural 6" worm, but with a 1/4 ounce jig head to get to the bottom in around 15fow before you get to the drop off into 100+fow, and in the weeds. We were still picking up bass until a big one slurped up the worm working it on the bottom. That was the big pickerel which fought for what seemed 10 minutes and drew the attention from other not far away anglers as my excitement was noticed. Esox family members will move into deeper water as they get bigger. But it is tough to "target" them unless you just like "throwing the bass back" in hopes of getting that sizable pickerel, as both like and inhabit the same waters. I saw the biggest pickerel in my life as a 10 or-so year old down on Long Island, a place called Hempstead Lake in Nassau county. This lake was known for it's big largemouths, yellow perch, and beauteous chain pickerel. This fish might have been a world or state record as it looked to me like pics of big pike or musky I'd seen in the magazines. The fish was held (while walking) by the captor and was half his size and he was about 14 or 15 years old. But you can't beat mid-depth (8-20 fow) weed beds going towards deeper waters, if available. There, like other esocidae, the water is cooler and the weeds are what they enjoy for ambushing. And being friends and competing with bass and such...

BTW Big fat pike, Hoeoye has chain pickerel and a few northerns. I like fishing from shore at Canadice as the trout (lakers and rainbows) are close to shore in late winter to spring. Then the smallies take their place as waters warm and then the warmer water fish take their place. All are suckers for spinners and spoons, and I like regular floating black/silver rapalas as they will not get hung up on deeper moving baits, from shore. But I have yet to catch a pickerel there.

On 8/7/2020 at 10:48 PM, trouthunter24 said:

didn't see this sorry late reply

4lbs is an absolute giant in either lake. 

anyone caught anything over 2lbs ? 

biggest chains on live minnow off deep water close to weed lines i mean close . mid lake on Hemlock is best....good luck 

Are they there year round like during ice season or just summer