Cayuga green

The clarity has torpedoed our jigging success. 

Here is a local scientists thoughts - It could be due to sediment washed in from the small tributaries or just general mixing from the rainstorm we had on Saturday night. Phytoplankton (both cyanobacteria and non-cyanobacteria types) can reduce clarity as well. It's possible that with how hot it's been, and following the rainstorm on Saturday, the lake ecosystem is just a bit more productive than usual

Two things come to mind as possible factors. increased photosynthesis taking place with the increased sunlight and higher temps of late and with the higher water temps potential algae blooms.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

Jigging has been awesome early in the morning for me but has petered out by 7:30 most days. So I don’t think the water clarity is a major factor unless the fish can see better in low light conditions when there is what seems to be a algae bloom. That being said trolling had been good in deep water when the jigging bite slows.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

21 minutes ago, uglyokuma said:

Jigging has been awesome early in the morning for me but has petered out by 7:30 most days. So I don’t think the water clarity is a major factor unless the fish can see better in low light conditions when there is what seems to be a algae bloom. That being said trolling had been good in deep water when the jigging bite slows.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

When is the last time you were out?  From my experience recently, things drastically changed in the past 4-5 days.  Prior to that, Cayuga fishing was on fire.  I believe the green water is the biggest factor, combined with the flea population exploding this past week.

Edited by cinnamon fish

When is the last time you were out?  From my experience recently, things drastically changed in the past 4-5 days.  Prior to that, Cayuga fishing was on fire.  I believe the green water is the biggest factor, combined with the flea population exploding this past week.

I spent 8-10 hours on the water the last 3 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
  • Like 1

If it is blue/green algae (even spots of it) be very careful as that stuff is very toxic to people as well as animals (e.g. dogs etc.) so don't let anyone swim if it is present. I believe there is also a hotline for reporting its presence.

Edited by Sk8man

I was out of Deans Cove today. Caught 5 lakers on 400 wire. Scorpion spoon. On barley legal LL. Riggers were just not productive.... though I did catch this 10lber 32inch on the 400, took about 20min to real in.IMG_0810.JPGIMG_0814.JPG

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Matt ching said:

I was out of Deans Cove today. Caught 5 lakers on 400 wire. Scorpion spoon. On barley legal LL. Riggers were just not productive.... though I did catch this 10lber 32inch on the 400, took about 20min to real in.IMG_0810.JPGIMG_0814.JPG

Nice fish!