Any Reports from the Whitby Area?

My dad and I had some bad luck with our last boat, endless problems year after year and this year the 150 Merc went for a crap (oil injectors went faulty, alarm and shutdown system failed). We upgraded to a 2003 TROPHY 2509 WA with twin 150 Mercs and rigged for fishing. Boat is in Whitby and we will most likely be getting a slip there as well. Since I've been out of the action for a couple years I was wondering what the latest reports were like from anyone doing a bit of salmon fishing out from the Pickering/Whitby/Bowmanville areas? Excited to get back out on the water! Any tips would be great. Good luck on the water.

I see about 144 views but no responses, so I decided to respond to my own post in case people are interested in reading. I asked around a bunch of boats in the area and most seem to be having a lot of success on both the Kings and the Steelhead right now. Nothing gigantic out Whitby way from what I can tell but steady fishing which is good. Both Riggers and wire line seem to be working behind a dreamweaver spin doctor doctor and a spoon following a twinkie rig, some where fishing cut bait as well. Started early in about 60-70 feet of water and worked out to deep water. The water temp and bait location seem to be changing a bit so if you find that you should be into the fish.

I've had success in the past out in the blue water this time of year. I'm hoping to have the boat in the water this weekend and I'll let you know how it goes. If nothing else I'll wash some lures.

• Like 2

Last two days have been slow, last week was on fire. The rain seemed to cool down the water and the fish have moved. Heard reports that they are out deeper now, but I haven’t seemed to find them

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Yeah that doesn't surprise me, that's usually the case this time of year. I will let you know how the blue water fishing goes. I'll try my luck out there.

Just got the boat into the slip today. A few finishing touches tomorrow and I'll be good to go. If the wind is right I will head out tomorrow afternoon/evening. Stay tuned!

Wind was up today from the South-West. Way to rough to be out there this afternoon for me. I got some more work done on the boat but didn't go out. Will try again tomorrow after work.

Okay so, yesterday was the first morning out. Rollers were rough on the back but it wasn't too bad. Fished mostly in the 70' - 130' range with little success. Two riggers and two wire lines. Went out again this morning, nice and calm so we headed out to around 280' and trolled out to 375' of water. South-south East of Whitby. It was still a slow start but we came onto some good rainbow action at around 10:00 in the 300' + waters. Magic colours seemed to be anything with a lot of speckled bright colour to it. "Wonderbread" on a cheater line was working great as they were up close to surface. Still trying to find the kings, must be a tourney this weekend because a lot of boats are pre-fishing from out of town. Saw a couple boats from St. Catherines. Anyway, here is a picture of a nice rainbow, I'll let you know when I find the big kings.

IMG_0426 (1).jpg

wonderbread.jpg

Okay so, yesterday was the first morning out. Rollers were rough on the back but it wasn't too bad. Fished mostly in the 70' - 130' range with little success. Two riggers and two wire lines. Went out again this morning, nice and calm so we headed out to around 280' and trolled out to 375' of water. South-south East of Whitby. It was still a slow start but we came onto some good rainbow action at around 10:00 in the 300' + waters. Magic colours seemed to be anything with a lot of speckled bright colour to it. "Wonderbread" on a cheater line was working great as they were up close to surface. Still trying to find the kings, must be a tourney this weekend because a lot of boats are pre-fishing from out of town. Saw a couple boats from St. Catherines. Anyway, here is a picture of a nice rainbow, I'll let you know when I find the big kings.

1148606277_IMG_0426(1).thumb.jpg.ebf910577ddc9b5f06e3bc6ecb1c7fe9.jpg
wonderbread.thumb.jpg.43ad50db73a75d17d7b579d746c17ceb.jpg

Thanks for report.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Latest report:...

Went out yesterday from Whitby and headed Westward in about 80-100 ft for the first couple hours of daylight. No action so I headed out to 200' and had no success out there. I was roughly south of Ajax/Pickering at that time. Got skunked =( However the good part was I had the girls (two daughters and my wife) out for a few hours and they had fun boating around, so overall still a great day. Just wish I had a couple fish for them to reel in.

Today, I started in about 60' of water and worked the 60-80' range just East of Whitby. Saw a bit of bait fish and a few hooks but no action. I decided after about 2 hours to head back out to 370' of water due South of Whitby. Hooked 4 nice Rainbows, 2 on cheaters with the wonderbread lure and two on the dipsy with a white fly. So overall, another good day to be on the water.

Still trying to find the kings... patience =D

Still working on my callsign, but I'll let you all know once I get that figured out so you can ping me on the VHS.

Here is another pic of my buddy holing a Rainbow.

IMG_7184.JPG

3 trips and skunked outta whitby this week. Fished 80 to 220 with every lure in the box. Went out yesterday evening to 350+. Pretty rough but finally hooked up with 4 bows and one small salmon. All on small spoons near the surface. Sunset was glorious and scooted back before the storm. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was away on vacation in Algonquin for a week. Was back in the water yesterday and heard from a few locals that fish are starting to stage. Tried in 60' to 80' of water, caught one 10lb King on a Kelly Green spoon off the wire line, fishing 55 over 80'. Lots of bait in tight, but water temp was warm. Around 60 degrees 60' down.

Moved out to about 140' of water shortly after 8am, and while the water temp was better there was no bait or hooks. Had to pack it in at 10am to get to work for the afternoon.

Slow morning but great to be out, will try again tomorrow morning.

Good luck out there!

• Like 1

Okay so we went out this morning for a few hours again before I needed to head in for work. I had my Dad and father-in-law with me. Fished from daylight to about 10:15am. Similar conditions as yesterday with warm water in tight to shore, I had 60 degree water 60' down. Still lots of bait fish and some hooks so I stayed there.

I had the first king in the boat before I was done setting up the rods! Caught him on the wire line with a dipsy and Kelly green spoon behind a green/white twinkie rig.

It was quiet for a bit after that, then I got two more later in the morning. One on the wire and another on the rigger. Both on a fly, one behind a blue twinkie rig and another behind a flasher. Rigger was 70' down over 100' of water, it was our biggest fish of the day.

So overall not a bad day! It wasn't fast and furious but we went 3 for 3 so I can't complain. Water was nice to be out.

Good luck out there!

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0521.jpg

Okay so we went out this morning for a few hours again before I needed to head in for work. I had my Dad and father-in-law with me. Fished from daylight to about 10:15am. Similar conditions as yesterday with warm water in tight to shore, I had 60 degree water 60' down. Still lots of bait fish and some hooks so I stayed there.

I had the first king in the boat before I was done setting up the rods! Caught him on the wire line with a dipsy and Kelly green spoon behind a green/white twinkie rig.

It was quiet for a bit after that, then I got two more later in the morning. One on the wire and another on the rigger. Both on a fly, one behind a blue twinkie rig and another behind a flasher. Rigger was 70' down over 100' of water, it was our biggest fish of the day.

So overall not a bad day! It wasn't fast and furious but we went 3 for 3 so I can't complain. Water was nice to be out.

Good luck out there!

IMG_0522.thumb.jpg.b9698aeca454e0cc2a8cd88a0d17e652.jpg
IMG_0524.thumb.jpg.380e0ae120950e536c58e1b53c539184.jpg
IMG_0521.thumb.jpg.5516a5e126f803024fe72c623dd45a6f.jpg

I went out deep into the 350. Didn’t mark anything. Trolled back toward shore. Got a 20lb king at 270, stayed there for an hour and nothing else, moved into 170 fow and got 1 around 14lbs and 2 small steelhead.

Still a slow bite.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Yeah, that seemed to be the general consensus over the VHF. Not a lot of action and hard to find the fish. They're out there, just not feeding heavy. Not sure if the warm water has them sluggish.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest reports...

Been trying to get out the odd morning, it would seem that you have to work hard for them right now. Been trying varying depths of water and various temperatures. Most action has been in around 50 - 80ft of water. Many Kings are staging if they haven't already gone up the rivers. Not too bad though, been averaging about 4 or 5 per outing. Seems like the season is coming to an end soon but here are a couple more pictures. MY youngest daughter caught her first king on the new boat, it wasn't a monster but she was happy with it. Other fish was 28lbs, nice King. Most of the action seems to be on the flys right now, both riggers and dipsys. Good luck out there!

IMG_0541.JPG

IMG_0540.JPG

Murray. Whitby is west of us in Cobourg. Our Sea ray  boat sat all summer under the Blue Covid mask.  One buddy says lets go last Saturday. Boat was a lot of work to get setup, for one day out. We were on the dock for 5 a.m. I had my 5 usual rod setup, 2 wires with dipsey and spin doctors, 1 was meat rhe other a green fly. 2 downriggers set with spoon, and a flasher fly combo. Lead core out down the centre chute.  We put in at 75 f o w and trolled. I was blind to the popular baits or the hot spoons, Anyway we got totally drenched by an  early morning down pour.  Not much on the finder so we hunted for fish. by about 8:00 I had changed gear quite a bit. finally a rigger popped with a crush glow 1/2 blue green flasher and blue fly. Normally I set the hook and hand the rods over. Well he battled a good one, but Jim  was a little  over excited and Now you know The rest of the Story. Sun come up after a bit. Went out to 275.  0 for 2 . Going to get back in September. Last year a young lad turned 15 and we both managed a double header at about 8:15 pm 2 x mid 20s with  long lines  and High a  5  too.  That's Fishing. 

LBT1, good to hear you got out! Even though COVID put a damper on this season at least you can say you got some fish in the boat. Coubourg is an area I've never fished before but I know a bunch of people who have and it always seems to produce fish. Good to hear you got your son out too! The more we keep the sport going with the new generation the stronger it becomes for years to come. Good memories that money can't buy. How do you find using the spin doctors behind your dipsys? I was wondering if the pull would be too much. 

As it stands right now I only use a 4 rod set up because this new boat isn't really rigged for more than that. I'm going to put two more riggers and a planner board mast on it for next season so I could run 8 rods comfortably with 4 licenses in the boat. 

Like I mentioned above, most of my action has been on the flys. They have been doing well. I wouldn't mind getting into trolling some meat for next year though. Going to have to prep some fillets in the spring. Do you make your own or buy them?

All the best and good luck on the water!

Hi Murray. We  use a 19 braid Torpedo wire on  the starboard dipsey diver  rod with glass eyes its 10 years old. With usually 245 to 275 feet out or so on a # 2 setting. The rod really bends when under power. Then just set the clutch to stop clicking line out, your locked in ready at about 80 feet down . If the trigger snap pops on the diver, the line comes up on the  angle towards the surface. Once you get the hang of it, they produce fish.  And Big ones. They set back way off to the side,  out of the way so the spin doctors can rotate. We set 2 down riggers first. When marking fish, then put out the port side dipsey with a 7 braid with a flasher spoon or fly . Our go to last line is grandpas old lead core.it is dead centre out the back all 10 colours that is 300 feet plus 20 more feet  of a fluorocarbon suffix .  Put on a made in Peterborough Ontario  Lucky strike spoon, and get into the 30 foot range for some awesome Rainbow action. This nets fish everyday. Darn I better go to work now. There may be a few sick days coming soon. Prepare for tomorrow. Len

Murray   We catch more fish with less rods,  5 seems to be my ability to manage. When a Big King is on Oh Boy that's a lot of work Clearing  lines, not to mention the tangles that can come too, this takes  a 1/2  hour to get re rigged and  set again. Been there done that.  High 5  Len

• 7 months later...