GeorgeB 802

fuel problems lookimg for some help - have a Merc 5.0 starts great having a problem after running out at about ten mph try to throttle up it will run great for a few then starts to cut out and die ,but starts right back up - if I try to go fast it dies ?? fuel pump ? have replaced the distributer and rotor -fUEL Seperater any help /ideas? thanks in advance

I am guessing that you replaced the distributor cap ,not the whole distributor. Was it timed if you swapped the whole thing out ? Usually the fuel pump is good or bad  . When was the last time the plugs were changed or looked at ? After checking them I would pull the carb and have that rebuilt , sounds like the float or passageways could be messed up. Local car repair shop /marina / can do it ,or check out the net  for carbs rebuilt  [ depending on how much down time you can deal with in the middle of the season. ] Or buy a new one ,probably around 350-400 depending on where you buy it from. 

Pretty vague engine description ( 2br-4bl-edelbrock-rochester) for anyone to give any kind of sound advice, but before I went spending money on dead ends I would check the fuel delivery hose from the tank to the water seperator & any other rubber fuel hoses for internal collapse. Seeing a lot of that in the past few years due to fuel quality/ethanol, if not save a few dollars before you start throwing parts at it & have it looked at by a repuital mechanic.     

• Haha 1

Sounds like a fuel supply problem. Everything seems to be working until you throttle up high and it dies out only to start right back up again. Seems to run good until the fuel in the float bowl runs out:wondering:.   Check the fuel line from the tank top the engine. It may have a restriction. If it is a old line replace it. Cheap remove & replace item:smile:.

Good luck with the repair

:)Looks like we both posted at the same time Hank. I'll yield these topics to the pros (you)

Edited by stinger
  • Like 1