Choice of Dipsy Rod

So Ive run wire on my dipsy rods for last three seasons. Obviously they get a ton of use. Suddenly this season snapped off three rigs. Inspection finds grooves in 4-5 eyelets on every rod where the largest bend happens in the rod...when I stripped wire off and put new wire on i found damage in many places on the old wire.

Trying to pick replacement rods that wont do that have twili tips on them all at this point and Im using a dremel to grind out the grooves. However I would prefer to replace them all. I have ordered an Okuma White Diamond swivel roller top 10 foot rig but they are pricey to try out...

What do you guys use? I know several that use blue diamond okuma that are cheaper no roller tip...

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

You didn't mention which rods you were using currently, but I will tell you that taking a Dremel to the guide rings is only going to exacerbate your problem. If they are truly grooved, then they either need to be replaced or you need to ditch the rod.

We use Shimano Talora rods with Twili Tips and have never broke off at the wire, except once at the knot near the Dipsy. We run four diver sets, using 8' Talora with a Mag diver on the inside, 9 1/2' with a Deeper Diver on the outside. IMHO, cheap roller rods are more of a PITA than they are worth. And good roller rods are beaucoup $$. Good luck.

I got rid of my Blue diamond roller rods last winter.They were good rods for what they were . Never had a problem.

They were a bit to much for the fingerlakes. They are heavy and bulky,kids and ladys just dont like them.I replaced them with Talora rods with the twilly tip . Love em, 

Divers are the first thing out on my boat. If they dont fire in the first 15min its going to be a slow day..

I also agree to stay away from roller rods unless you're going to shell out coin for really good ones. Personally I like the regular okuma great lakes rods with a twilly tip. But you do have to replace them every few seasons as they can get grooves from the wire but they are super cheap to do so at about 30 a rod. Haven't tried the taloras yet but they are pricey too

So here is the update my original rods were 1. Okuma cold water dipsy rod... and 2 Schimano scimitars.... for those that asked ... I did buy an okuma white diamond 10 foot with roller tip... I like it smooth reeling used it two days last weekend 120 a rod w shipping, my Dremel work on the okuma cold water gave that rod another year maybe will watch it... I ordered two 8’6 white diamonds with roller tips to replace the schimanos .... pricey but oh well

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United