All was quiet on the radio with everyone gearing up for the Pro Am this weekend. I’m sure they were  all bummed to find temp down well over 120. Decided to screw the Kings and just run some steelhead lines. From 200-250 fow down 45-85 you can smash steelhead all day long. We had hit after hit. Probably 15-20 hits within an hour. A lot of fun having a 30 inch steelhead jumping a few feet out of the water! 

22 minutes ago, Bassin Bob said:

May I ask color of the spoons? That sounds fun , my grand kids could get a big thrill doing that.

I can give you the exact spoons. Standard size black wiggle stinger and standard size blue dolphin. Speed on top was 2.6 below was 2.4. 

That report is on the money!

yesterday had a lot of boats and a lot of Steelhead, I found the kings were a little more inside of that 225 line, water temps were about the same right in to 80 feet.my guess is those other big boats that were running way in found those kings too.

epic day for hits for sure

7 hours ago, Jto97 said:

All was quiet on the radio with everyone gearing up for the Pro Am this weekend. I’m sure they were  all bummed to find temp down well over 120. Decided to screw the Kings and just run some steelhead lines. From 200-250 fow down 45-85 you can smash steelhead all day long. We had hit after hit. Probably 15-20 hits within an hour. A lot of fun having a 30 inch steelhead jumping a few feet out of the water! 

What do you typically use to target steelies? Brighter spoons and flies? Is meat effective and does speed matter? What temp do they hide in, or is it more of a wide open water thing? 

Thank you!!

Steelies usually hang in the top 1/2 of water column. From surface to 50-70 ft.
Many use reds/oranges but standard king spoons will take plenty of them too.
Good technique is to run a deep spoon for kings with a free slider which will nail your steelies.
Bump your speed too.
I’ve caught them on meat and FF but generally spoons is the ticket

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

17 minutes ago, dhhurlburt said:

What do you typically use to target steelies? Brighter spoons and flies? Is meat effective and does speed matter? What temp do they hide in, or is it more of a wide open water thing? 

Thank you!!

Brighter colors but really anything with just a little color. It doesn’t have to be neon or anything... My bread and butter spoon is a black wiggle. You can catch anything that swims on that spoon. Meat may work but I wouldn’t bother if your goal is to catch steelhead. Speed somewhat matters. Anywhere from 2.4-3.0 for me. Temp doesn’t matter much as they stay in the upper 30% of the water column. Fish deeper water for them. 200fow or more. Fish anywhere from 30 to 75 down for steelhead. 

• Thanks 1