Algae Blooms: example for doubters

A lot of algae results from unharvested fish that decay on old age. The catch and release fishing with stocking fish programs resulting in the Algae situation .

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

A lot of algae results from unharvested fish that decay on old age. The catch and release fishing with stocking fish programs resulting in the Algae situation .

I see your reasoning, but if that were the only reason Alaska , Washington state , British Columbia should be overrun with algae blooms. Millions of salmon that have spawned just lay in the rivers and rot. The mooneye die offs in the years before salmon introduction had all beaches ankle deep in dead and decaying fish , yet I can’t remember hearing about toxic algae in those days it must be a combination of factors contributing to this phenomenon. While I’m thinking back , Oneida lake used to get pea soup green by July , every year. Yet I never heard of it being toxic. Swam and fished in that lake every year. Green as could be

• Like 1

Algae blooms are the result of too much nutrient rich water and increased photosynthesis stepped up from the availability of the critical nutrients (e.g. nitrates or phosphates for example) combined with higher water temps and available sunlight. Numerous things add to the problem; many of which are created by humans (e.g. farming near lakes, manure washing into streams ending up in the lake, and chemicals from vineyards near lakes, fertilizer run off from lawns. sewage emptying into lakes etc.) among a whole host of other things  adding up to too many nutrients providing a "petri dish" environment for the algae. Blue/Green algae is very toxic to both animals and humans and the effects can range from skin irritation to death.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 3

Pacific salmon die in the stream to provide feed for their new generation. Mountain streams are mostly snow and glacier melt water. Very nutrient deficient and the decaying carcasses are the food newly hatched fry, fingerlings and steelhead that winter over in the rivers and streams feed on.

Pacific salmon die in the stream to provide feed for their new generation. Mountain streams are mostly snow and glacier melt water. Very nutrient deficient and the decaying carcasses are the food newly hatched fry, fingerlings and steelhead that winter over in the rivers and streams feed on.
Also aquatic insects feed on the carcasses that feed the new generations.

There are people that say that algae blooms are harmless and people swim when they are in bloom. Just a "heads up" There are people that think the corona virus is a hoax  too so not everyone is on the same page with things.

Anyone else getting a sore throat after fishing?  I’ve been on Hemlock about twice a week since spring. I also live in the Bristol Hills so it could be allergies. I did read that blooms have been reported on the north end. I always launch from the south but north winds have been common so I’m wondering about what could be in the air. 

There is all sorts of pollen in the air along with other crap and yes allergens.....nothing to do with the algae blooms

Algae blooms are the result of too much nutrient rich water and increased photosynthesis stepped up from the availability of the critical nutrients (e.g. nitrates or phosphates for example) combined with higher water temps and available sunlight. Numerous things add to the problem; many of which are created by humans (e.g. farming near lakes, manure washing into streams ending up in the lake, and chemicals from vineyards near lakes, fertilizer run off from lawns. sewage emptying into lakes etc.) among a whole host of other things  adding up to too many nutrients providing a "petri dish" environment for the algae. Blue/Green algae is very toxic to both animals and humans and the effects can range from skin irritation to death.

Definitely agree, many people wonder why Seneca has bad problems with the blue green algae but with the hot summer and the abundance of chemicals and manure run-off leaves an obvious answer. I am not one to judge but I don’t know how anyone would call the bloom a hoax as I live on the lake and when august comes the water near shore grows a thick layer of toxic water where I can’t even let my dogs swim.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yes and the couple of huge sewage spills from the treatment plant coming down the Keuka Outlet hasn't helped either

Edited by Sk8man

FYI....algal blooms (colonies of algae) can make the air difficult to breathe and cause throat irritation.  Anyone who fishes in South Florida gulf during the summer can attest to the irritation.  And yes, they can occur in freshwater but are typically the cyanobacteria blooms (blue/green rather than the red or pink seen in the gulf).  Nitrogen, phosphorus, animal manure, wastewater overflows, warm temps and stillwaters all contribute.  That being said, likely just be the pollen like others pointed out.  

Everyone who is interested in topics like Algae blooms, invasive species ( fleas, gobies, zebra mussels) and history of the Great Lakes should take the time to read " The Death and Life of the Great Lakes".  The books author, Dan Egan goes into great detail on the history and the science behind each of these issues that have plagued the Great Lakes for so many years.  I have fished the Lake since early 1960s and I think the is the most accurate and best read to inform you about the past and to take part in preserving the future or our fishery.  On these hot days take the time and read it 

• Thanks 1