Saw a break in the weather called my dad that is 81 asked him if he wanted to go fishing before we new it we were in Oswego launched first light and pulled spoons on 4 riggers due to temp down at 100 feet , There were lots of salmon to be caught between the 140 to 200 landed 19 keep 6 matures then went in for the day. Back at in the morning put all mags on looking to weed out the little ones by 10 we landed 10 more good fish keep 6 matures and called it a day . I guess any time you land 29 salmon in a day in a half its hard not to have a blast . My old man went back home to NH tired very sore and happy man i dont no how many more times we will get to do this together .Was complete spoon bight never put a fly or meat down had to set riggers ate 135 and 185 on the wingers to stay in temp due to speed and current .

• Like 3

Those are great numbers. Good to see the old and the young generations doing great for the reasons we all know. Har d Knox, what do you mean by wingers , if you don’t mind me asking?Im guessing it’s like a hockey reference to the outside riggers but not sure. Thanks and good going for sure.

39 minutes ago, tove12345 said:

Those are great numbers. Good to see the old and the young generations doing great for the reasons we all know. Har d Knox, what do you mean by wingers , if you don’t mind me asking?Im guessing it’s like a hockey reference to the outside riggers but not sure. Thanks and good going for sure.

Wingers are downrigger weights with "wings" on them. They are meant to deflect out to the sides to stay away from inside riggers. 

Here is two styles 20200717_170018.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I’ve never seen them before. Who makes them?Im still a little confused on how they work. Do you attach them to your downrigger cable?Thanks in advance for any more info. I have fished the lake a long time, and learning never gets old.
The winger separates your lines and causes the downrigger weights to plane away from the boat. This separation is exceptionally good for smaller boats, downriggers mounted close together, boat shy fish, and also eliminates the need for extension on the downrigger arms.Screenshot_20200717-213412_Google.jpeg

Got it! Thank you for taking the time to show and explain that. That’s what makes this site THE BEST! I really like the concept. Are those available at any of the local tackle shops that you are aware of?I imagine the are very helpful if you are running flasher flies (or meat) off your riggers .

They do cause extra drag do to resistance pulling out to the side i use with a 10 lb ball and the white plastic winger and if i want them to run at 100 feet i let out extra cable to account for blow back and angle . As to wear to buy go to ebay and search winger they are really much money i love mine .And as far as Wrights goes you can launch and park .GOOD LUCK 

• Like 1

I bought my stainless steel ones up at Henderson

They do cause extra drag do to resistance pulling out to the side i use with a 10 lb ball and the white plastic winger and if i want them to run at 100 feet i let out extra cable to account for blow back and angle . As to wear to buy go to ebay and search winger they are really much money i love mine .And as far as Wrights goes you can launch and park .GOOD LUCK 

Glad you were able to get to fish with your Dad. Any special spoon combinations or colors that were working best? Also, do you have a speed/temp probe at the ball to compensate for the current?  A day with your Dad along with fantastic fishing is priceless.

Yes i run a down temp and speed probe and feel that well spoon color can make a diffrence temp ,depth .speed ,direction of troll and location in relation to water depth fish are relating to is far more important then spoon color . We caught fish on many spoons but a mag mongolian  beef is a great spoon .

11 hours ago, hard knox said:

Yes i run a down temp and speed probe and feel that well spoon color can make a diffrence temp ,depth .speed ,direction of troll and location in relation to water depth fish are relating to is far more important then spoon color . We caught fish on many spoons but a mag mongolian  beef is a great spoon .

Thanks for the reply and the info. Was thinking about getting a Fish Hawk. I agree, mongolian beef is a great spoon. It has its' day on Lake Michigan too. Thanks again. Jim

Hey guys I thought I will share with you my personal invention been using this for a couple of years does the job very low blow back they wait 12 pounds each absolutely love it 20180415_121717.thumb.jpeg.73ee89c2f75c0b639ad89498fb468d03.jpeg20180415_122729.thumb.jpeg.b361cb1baf6bb9db2936a9e84898f3f0.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

They look great. Do the wander in currents ? I had 13 lb pancakes that were a nightmare in any kind of wind or down currents. Tangle city

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United